KV4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV4

how are they? is the neck similar to other jacksons? someone is offering to sell me a used one. the fretboard looks rosewood, thats ok though, maybe I can stain it darker like someone mentioned in another thread. does that change the playability at all? Anyhow, how much are they worth and such?

also.. is the floyd a schaller, or just a JT580 or something. i will probably replace it with an original floyd if it is not a schaller

Re: KV4

and, are the pickups JB\Jazz?

Comment

I had one.

Pretty nice guitar. Fretboard is rosewood, 24 frets. Pickups were JB/Jazz on mine. JT580 trem, never had any problem with it. I paid 500 for mine a while back, worth every cent.

Dunno 'bout the darkening of the fretnoard.

Hope it helps.

Rodrigo.
      Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I've never played one bud. but I've heard good things about em.
        I'm sure the neck is either like a soloist or a king v speed neck.
        Its part of the Professional series.. so the qaulity is top notch for an import, I'm sure.

It indeed does have a rosewood fretboard, you could "ebonize" it, if you feel thats nessecary. It would not change the tonal properties of rosewood much, since once the process is dry, its molecular mass isn't altered much. Rosewood seems to have a darker smooth tone to it, so it may make it a bit darker yet snappier. MAYBE. Subtle either way.

I'm not sure on thier worth, the easier way to esess this would be to ask how much are they asking for it?

Its not a OFR, its probably a Jackson Licensed version like a JT580 or so. Might be that Takeimuchi or whatever brand.

Good guitar.

Hope this helps.

Comment

i hope its not a takeimuchi, my rhoads has that and it sucks.. either way I can replace it.

I am paying 500$ for it

Comment

also does anyone know what years they were made?

Comment

Zeegler has two of them I think. I believe it is a quality guitar, I didn't play a Jackson neck-thru that I didn't like yet to be honest. 500 dollars is a good deal for that guitar in any case if it is in decent condition.

Oh staining rosewood wouldn't change the tone really...

Comment

Veli's right, I have a trans red one, and a silver one. I believe the stock trem was the JT580LP, because that is what was on the silver one when I got it. The red one was devoid of hardware. IMHO the 580LP is a pile of shit, but I think some folks like them. An original Floyd won't work because the lock screws are too long, and will hit the body. I put a Schaller floyd on the red one, and I'm currently looking for another one for the silver one.

As for the quality, these are very solid, well built guitars. The necks are slim, and very comfortable, somewhat like a Pro Soloist.

I can't remember what year they were made, but I think they were only made for 2 years.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

wasn't it 1999-2001 or something?

btw, what i meant about staining the rosewood was if it would change the FEEL of the fretboard. like make it feel sticky or anything. i didnt mean the tone

by the way, im getting it for 500 because it has a large gouge in the paintjob ( i dont care much)

Comment

I do have a schaller floyd spare but i don't think it'll fit either

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I do have a schaller floyd spare but i don't think it'll fit either

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it should fit since I have one on my trans red KV4. They have the shorter, fatter locking screws.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        i hope its not a takeimuchi, my rhoads has that and it sucks..

[/ QUOTE ]
                        The Takeuchi made JT580LP trem is better than what's on the current imports. Then again, I've never had a problem with any of the JT580LP trems.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

are the kv4's neck thrue?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            are the kv4's neck thrue?

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Yeah, neck-thru, Floyd, Duncans stock I think(not sure), fins on non-bound rosewood board.

Staining just by using a dye doesn't change the feel either. Although if you use ebony dust, epoxy etc. to fill the grain it sure would but there is not really a need for that IMHO if you are just going for the "ebony" look.

Comment

cool [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X