Pickups that must be heard to be beleived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickups that must be heard to be beleived

I guess those damn europeans grabbed hold. In america we buy flashy advertising over investigating new things.
    It didn't used to be that way.
    If you think i'm kidding, just checkout the only aftermarket companies being endorsed so heavily are the biggest advertising spenders. EMG, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Thats pretty much it.
    I try to think objectivly like the rest of the Jackson crowd, because I don't beleivelike any other. How many people buy strats and haven't tried anything else just because you see them everywhere. Many of these folks have never owned a jackson or gibson or esp because clapton isn't seen with one in the last 15 years.
    Its nostalgia they crave, not tone, they want to be assosiated with great players by the guitar they play. Nothin against the strat. Its just an observation from someone who has sold guitars in the past , and I don't think much has changed.
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
    A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

I did a translation of that swedish webpage for those who are interested, but I only bothered to translate the Humphree Singlecoils and the Humbuckers.

Note: Keep in mind that this is a translation of a translation (and i don't know what info is from the product sheets and what is just the swedish retailer's opinion), so I can't make any guarantees about the accuracy of the information.

INTER-PHASE PICKUPS give you brilliance and clarity. Some models have high or very high output signal with preserved treble, which so far has been impossible for passive pickups. (Note: Anyone else who thinks this smells like bull****? X2N anyone?) You can adjust INTER-PHASE PICKUPS very close to the strings without having the magnetic fields affect the vibrations of the strings (no "string pull"). You simply get better sustain. When doing powerful string bending, you never run the risk of ending up outside the receptive area of a magnetic pole, since the magnetic fields are spread out over the entire length of the pickup. INTER-PHASE PICKUPS are quiet and hum free and some models (Humphree) are even very quiet and very hum free. These pickups are offered with a range of different tones, from the traditional single coil sound, to the most sought-after humbucking sound of the 50's.

IMPORTANT: Some bridges have very wide string spacing. Make sure you have at least 7mm between your 1st string (E1) and the edge of your pickups for a balanced tone reception with APC Single Coil Pickups.

HUMPHREE - Single Coils

Model

100 - Virtually insensitive to electric and magnetic interference. When you demand a totally clear, balanced "true single coil tone without the noise". Recommended position: Neck/middle

200 - Has the quietness and clarity of the 100, but is calibrated to give a little stronger output with emphasis on the mid-range register. Recommended position: Neck/middle

300 - "Hot, full range HUMPHREE" gives you maximum attack and sustain, while it brings out the harmonic overtones and a high output signal. Recommended position: middle/bridge

400 - "Mr. Punchy". Extremely high output signal and low hum level makes this pickup the choice of the pro's. Perfect for both clean and distortion. Recommended position: bridge

DUAL COIL HUMBUCKERS

All pickups are built with 4 shielded leads for split coil, phase control and series/parallell operation. Specify white or black covers when ordering.

Model

Persuader SC - Humbucking in single coil format. Powerful, "punchy" and rich with overtones. Recommended position: bridge

Persuader Lead - Powerful "over the edge" signal. Designed specifically for the lead guitarist. Recommended position: bridge

Persuader Lead Custom - Full highs, strong middle and full lows. Similar to Persuader Lead, but with stronger lows. Recommended position: bridge

Felony X - "This is it, we did it!" The sought-after 50's humbucking sound is here. Thick and clear for everything from blues to metal. Recommended position: neck

Malice - Especially designed for those who want a "phatter" humbucking sound. Classically tight response with strong mids and a loud output signal. Recommended position: neck

Syrinx - Like Malice, but with a finely balanced magnetic structure, resulting in a "medium output pickup" with prominent highs, thick bass and a "soft hang". (Note: Don't ask me what they mean with "soft hang". Sounds perverted.) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Recommended position: neck
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">'bane

Comment

I think what they mean by their description of the highs is that they sound more natural.
        Trebles can sound jacked up on most passive high outputs.
        Tom Anderson can make this claim to.
        Since his pickups share some of the same sonic clarity, just not as big. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Some of us spend our whole preparing to live some.And some of us just live now since this is our one chance to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Drabicki:
          From everything he said I'm really excited. He said the Lead is $85 and the Lead Custom is $90...not bad.

- Joel
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's "half the price of" EMGs? Don't think so...

[img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Joel Drabicki:
            From everything he said I'm really excited. He said the Lead is $85 and the Lead Custom is $90...not bad.

- Joel
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's "half the price of" EMGs? Don't think so...

[img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, over here it is. The webpage that I translated the text from lists the Lead Custom for 640 SEK, while a new EMG humbucker will run me at least 1500 SEK. Even if VAT isn't included, it lands at about half the price.

'bane

Comment

i'd like to hear the difference between the pursuader lead and the persuader lead custom.

the felony x sounds great for the neck.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

have any of you guys tried these yet? Its been a month since I posted and I have ordered 2 sets for my charvel model 3 and jackson fusion pro. should be in next week. I miss the tone since I sold my 650xl and rg750. They rocked but those pickups told which guitar was boss.

Comment

holycross1, seems strange you didn't pull them from the guitars before selling, when you like them so much... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I would love to try the Persuader Lead, the Syrinx and the Persuader Lead Custom, so any info on these - post them!

Which models are you buying and what do they cost?
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

holycross, which models did you purchase for your axes?
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Hey, I'm sorry its taking me so long to reply but I work as a full time waiter at O'Charley's untill I get a better gig. For my Charvel I ordered a persuader lead DRX for the bridge and a Malice for the neck. I am wiring them to a 5 way switch that gives me PRS type combimations and steight to a volume control no tone. I got a new pickguard since I changed the control setup.
                      On my fusion I am puting a persuader lead custom in the bridge and a set of humfree 300's in the mid and neck with the middle reverse wound on a standard 5 way switch.Bridge on its own volume and the 300's share a volume and tone.
                      I will tell you that i payed $350 for all the pickups in one order since they are custom matched for your sets.
                      Oh ya I found out that APC can make a 7 string pickup custom for around $160 a peice.
                      I hope I have answered your question. I am a bit long winded and detailed in my replies but I take pride in this find.
                      Some jacksons need to be step routed to fit these pickups, so take that into concideration when you try these out.
                      Oh ' and I do not work for APC. I am a devoted tone lover.

Comment

Working...
                      X