Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SL-3 and SL-4

To the Slayer guy:
    Your trying to say the new guitars are overpriced because you can get a better used guitar for the same price? What the heck are you talking about man? Two different markets completely. Like someone else already pointed out you cannot find another guitar with those specs in the same price range. Some people don't like buying used guitars and thats their own thing. But saying that its a piece of crap because you can get a used USA for the same price is kinda stupid.

Comment

If I could get a usa in clean unabused shape for $500 or less I would jump on it. I have not seen these prices though so a clean sl3 @ 400 sound good
      It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Hope this works...

[ February 11, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: 83SanDimas ]

Comment

[ February 11, 2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: 83SanDimas ]

Comment

That's a cool color! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nice guitar! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Trans blue looks really good. Maybe I should think about getting a guitar in that finish! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anders
              https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

nice guitar man! the TB looks cool [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

well, looking at list prices here, I'd say the japanese soloists are more attractive that their american counterparts. $1400 vs $3000. binding doesn't concern me. neither does flashy finish options. so what's left? inlay material and licensed vs original floyd rose? would that be worth $1600 extra? hell no! the extra 2 frets? not even close!
                  those $1600 would provide me with new pickups, new floyd and a new fretboard with custom inlay. or a backup guitar.

but I wouldn't mind a used SL2 if I found one cheaper than a new SL4/SL3
                  I guitar, therefore, I am a Guitarer

http://iguitarer.blogspot.com

Comment

Nice guitar and nice finish, I don't miss the binding too much with that combination of Rosewood and Transblue.

Congratz dude, I'd get one too for $425.

Enjoy.

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by slayer:
                      [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] For $650, I`d opt for a nice Used Hamer USA or Jackson USA or Carvin USA(hell, you can get a new Carvin one for $650) guitar. I [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] bought a New [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] SL4 in Black for $500 [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] (no case) and it wasn`t even close to a Hamer-Carvin or Jackson USA [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] guitar in quality, I sent it back. I bought a Mint 1997 Hamer USA Phantom with Hamer USA case for $430 Shipped!! The SL3 and SL4 are vastly overpriced. I ordered a New Jacskson SL2H in Black with case for $1244 and that included Tax out the door!! I would rather have a Black DK2 in Black for $279 than a Black SL4 for $500. I am sorry if I offended anyone, but the SL4 lacked that Jackson Mojo if you will. I can get a Used Mint 1997 Hamer USA Studio(Mahogany flame top real MOP, etc-etc) with case for $799. I can`t justify what Jackson charges for the SL3 and SL4 [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] Jack.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So you're upset about paying $500 for a neckthru guitar with Seymour Duncan pickups? WTF? A brand new SL-3 from OSG is $799. Try to find a *NEW* neckthru with REAL Duncans at a better price point. It's damn tough to do so. No, you CAN'T get a new neckthru Carvin with a Floyd type trem and SD's for $650 (I went and looked). The cheapest neckthru they have is $620 with a fixed bridge. Good price, but not what we're talking about.

Let's see here... brand new guitar for $799 or a 5 year old used guitar for $799. Hmm... As someone that truly doesn't give a crap about point of origin, I'll take the new guitar. I CAN justify what Jackson charges, and I'll do so now. My SL3 cost me about $400, and I got it AT COST. That's half of what OSG is charging. Think about the profit margins on that one.

On a slightly different note, I guarantee you that if the SL3 and 4 was manufactured in the US, with the exact same components, and labeled a "student" model you'd have a lot of the same people that ***** about them now drooling all over each other to get one.
                      </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I really don't understand why they don't put a better trem (OFR) in the SL3/4 (yes, I think it should be available again because it just isn't right to limit us poor people to having a HSS soloist), give it a 22-fret rosewood fretboard with simpler dot inlays. Maybe even use simpler pickups. That way it would be a great guitar without taking sales away from the SL1/2.
                      I guitar, therefore, I am a Guitarer

http://iguitarer.blogspot.com

Comment

I can't believe I missed this thread! I have 2 SL4s, one in black and one in natural flame top. I love 'em, but I guess I got took, 'cause I paid $700 for each. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] That was before they were discontinued and discounted. I saw a few on ebay recently going for about $400.

I liked the Seymour Duncans they came with fine, but I had EMGs installed in my black one, and they are better. I also had a Tremsetter installed, and the tone knob replaced with a kill switch.

I agree with the negative sentiment about the slide switch - never liked those. The lack of binding doesn't bother me, but I never noticed the inlays being plastic. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Guess I'll have to take a closer look when I get home tonight. I'm getting depressed. Maybe I'd better hit the highlights!

The licensed Floyd is fine with me. I've never worn any part out, and I don't see any practical difference between it and an Original Floyd Rose. I LOVE the neck, especially after removing the shine with a Scotchbrite pad on my black one. I also really like the deep heel contour these have, and I think the SL4 is the only 22 fret, neck-through, Floyd-equipped Soloist Jackson has ever produced as a regular (i.e., non Custom Shop) model (please correct me if I am mistaken).

I am very interested in the posts about these guitars lacking quality. I love mine and have never noticed any flaws, but I've never owned a USA Jackson, so maybe I just don't know any better. As I understand it, the SL2H is different in these respects:

SL4 SL2H
                        22 frets 24 frets
                        Lic Floyd Original Floyd
                        Rosewood Ebony
                        No binding Binding
                        Blade switch Toggle switch

I think they're great, but if I'm missing out on something that's far better (SL2H), I'd seriously like to know more, so I can make that my next target of acquisition.

Comment

Quicksilver, try a USA SL2H and I think you will understand how much finer they are than the SL-4. They are so very sweet!! The sL-4s are nice, I just think they are over priced. The best deal on a Japanese made Jackson is the DK2. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                            Quicksilver, try a USA SL2H and I think you will understand how much finer they are than the SL-4. They are so very sweet!! The sL-4s are nice, I just think they are over priced. The best deal on a Japanese made Jackson is the DK2. Jack.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Sl-3's and Sl-4's are/were slightly overpriced. But I had to pick up a SL-4 when they were being closed out ($400). And compared to my DK-2, the SL-4 won hands down. Neck feels better,real Seymour Duncans, and no Photo Flame.
                            Now as for comparison to the SL-2, It's all the small things that make the USA series a better axe.

Comment

Yes, I agree, for $400 they(SL4) would be a great guitar, I would buy a New one for that!! Good score dood [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X