SL-3 and SL-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SL-3 and SL-4

I have an SL4 and and USA SL2H. The quality of the 22 fret SL4 is not great. There's a paint drip on the back of the body, and the tremolo cavity could use some new paint. The faux Floyd Rose on the SL4 is not as accurate as the original Rose on the SL2H. The R/L switch on the SL4 is a wimpy slide switch, Vs. the SL2H which has a beefier toggle switch. However, the tone of the SL4 with twin Duncans is nothing to snicker about. It's actually quite thick and I'd use it live in a heartbeat. I bought the SL4 used for a song so I'm not complaining. Thw 22/24 fret debate is more preference than anything else.

I've played the SL3 and in my opinion, it's overpriced and sounded a bit thin. The Duncan hot rails were a bit tinny compared to the SL4. The quality was also disappointing for a guitar in this price range.($1K) A real Floyd Rose should be standard equiptment for this caliber of guitar.

[ February 08, 2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Y&T ]

Comment

One difference is that the SL4 had a licensed Floyd while the SL2H has an original. I'm not sure about the pickups and tuners, though.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I was wondering,I was looking into both the SL4 and the DXMG as possibilities as my first Jackson(I want a soloist style guitar),which one is the better of the two? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I like to play thrash metal ala Slayer and I already got a Strat loaded with EMGs that sounds awsome.So whichever one I get will be loaded with real EMGs,so it doesn't really matter about what the stock pickups are in eather guitar.
        Also I played a buddies of mine's Jackson Soloist,not sure what model(It looked like a DXMG but it had a middle single coil [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ),and it had an awsome neck on it.Whatever guitar that was,would one of those two have a neck similar to it?

Thanks

Comment

1244 is okay for a sloid color. I pay 1249 with case for my transparent colors.

I cant believe you found a USA Jackson NEW in PA. I have been to ****ttsburgh and all they had was imports.

Im about 100 miles from you slayer.

Comment

I was playing the SL4 last night through a dual Rectofier and I must say it has similar tone and sustain as the SL2H. If you can live w/22 frets, and don't mind not having the bragging rights of a USA Jackson, pick one up. You could probably find a used one in good shape for $400. Additionally, I can't comment on the DXMG as I've never played one. However, I imagine the twin EMGs can't sound so shabby either...Go down to your local guitar shoppe' and play before you pay.

[ February 10, 2003, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Y&T ]

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
              The 22 frets, the horrible-looking plastic inlays, and the JT-580 trem are the deal-killers on the SL4 for me. At least the SL3 has 24 frets, but it still has the other lame-o stuff like the SL4. For that kind of money, you can do a LOT better. Recent used USA Jacksons, for example...
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey the inlay isn't ugly imo [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (maybe we should open a new poll [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

Comment

I'm with Shakeel, don't think the inlays are horrible at all.

Go imports! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                  [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] For $650, I`d opt for a nice Used Hamer USA or Jackson USA or Carvin USA(hell, you can get a new Carvin one for $650) guitar. I [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] bought a New [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] SL4 in Black for $500 [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] (no case) and it wasn`t even close to a Hamer-Carvin or Jackson USA [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] guitar in quality, I sent it back. I bought a Mint 1997 Hamer USA Phantom with Hamer USA case for $430 Shipped!! The SL3 and SL4 are vastly overpriced. I ordered a New Jacskson SL2H in Black with case for $1244 and that included Tax out the door!! I would rather have a Black DK2 in Black for $279 than a Black SL4 for $500. I am sorry if I offended anyone, but the SL4 lacked that Jackson Mojo if you will. I can get a Used Mint 1997 Hamer USA Studio(Mahogany flame top real MOP, etc-etc) with case for $799. I can`t justify what Jackson charges for the SL3 and SL4 [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] Jack.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So you're upset about paying $500 for a neckthru guitar with Seymour Duncan pickups? WTF? A brand new SL-3 from OSG is $799. Try to find a *NEW* neckthru with REAL Duncans at a better price point. It's damn tough to do so. No, you CAN'T get a new neckthru Carvin with a Floyd type trem and SD's for $650 (I went and looked). The cheapest neckthru they have is $620 with a fixed bridge. Good price, but not what we're talking about.

Let's see here... brand new guitar for $799 or a 5 year old used guitar for $799. Hmm... As someone that truly doesn't give a crap about point of origin, I'll take the new guitar. I CAN justify what Jackson charges, and I'll do so now. My SL3 cost me about $400, and I got it AT COST. That's half of what OSG is charging. Think about the profit margins on that one.

On a slightly different note, I guarantee you that if the SL3 and 4 was manufactured in the US, with the exact same components, and labeled a "student" model you'd have a lot of the same people that ***** about them now drooling all over each other to get one.

Comment

Thats alot of feedback thanks..

I bought the trans blue SL-3 I was looking at. I do think it is an excellent guitar. I will have to spend some time setting it up.

Kevin
                    It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

I`ll take Used Hamer USA guitars all day long for cheap than buy an SL-3 or SL-4 for what they cost, the USA Hamer`s will eat them alive and are onm par with USA Jacksons. If you got an SL-3 for Cost that is cool, but they aren`t worth what dealers charge, that`s all, $400 yes, over $500 No. I am done, as long as there are cheap high quality USA Hamer`s out there for cheap, I`ll take all I can get [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] This thread is getting [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] Jack. Hamer USA-Jackson USA-Carvin USA [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by 83SanDimas:
                        Thats alot of feedback thanks..

I bought the trans blue SL-3 I was looking at. I do think it is an excellent guitar. I will have to spend some time setting it up.

Kevin
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cool dude! Congratz. Now... you have to post some pics. Rules R rules...

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                          Hamer USA - Jackson USA - Carvin USA [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Lets see if I can figure it out....

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/38d4d...d2QS.AgkboxLTk

Guitar

Body

The owner had it since Christmas, New. I paid $425 and that included shipping.

It is brand new not a scratch. I took the trem arm out of the bag, it was unused and all was shipped to me in the orig box.

My only benchmark for this guitar is my model 6's and 5's.

I will have to see if I was better off upgrading my 6 or buying this sl3

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

The link doesn't work for me dude.

I think $425 is a very nice deal on that guitar.
                              Now you gotta play it til' your fingers bleed. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ February 11, 2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: kuerbo ]
                              Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I have to figure out why I cant serve out images from my home server... This Yahoo thing does not work well.

Comment

Working...
                                X