volume drop on bottom E only (DXMG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volume drop on bottom E only (DXMG)

it's only noticeable when using headphones on my mixer. why is it that when plugged into my boss gt-6 fx, as i put it in tuner bypass mode, it's more obvious. i have to twang both b AND e to get any sound out of that bottom E. i replaced the string with a 10 instead of a 9 and raised the EMG's on that side. same result. i could be halucinating but it sometimes sounds like the sound of the entire guitar is cutting out. tried a different cable - same result. it is an electrics problem in the guitar? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Re: volume drop on bottom E only (DXMG)

Note: That whould be the "high E" string, because it is higher in pitch than the other strings.

My guess would be that the string is vibrating against something (a high fret or some such thing), that kills the string vibration. You could try raising the action on the treble side to see if anything changes. When the string stops sounding, that's because it has stopped moving.

Comment

i'm not gonna raise the action. my local retailer cocked that up on my last guitar and i got cuts in the frets as a result. i'll have the electrics checked as the bridge and neck look fine. if no luck, i'll get 'em to replace the whole guitar.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

There is nothing wrong with your electronics. Seriously. String vibrations don't die because of faulty electronics. The first reason for bad sustain is often super low action, but since you get it on this one string, you definitely have something that inhibits its sideways travel - somewhere.

Only because the bridge "looks" fine doesn't mean that it is. You could have a tiny burr in the fret slot of the bridge, or the locking nut, that causes this. Bringing it in to a tech would be a good idea, but make sure he doesn't just raise the action to "fix" it then, because often that is what they'll do.

But HOW did you get cuts in the frets from having high action? I don't understand...

Comment

And you said it's only noticeable while using headphones w/your mixer? It doesn't do it just straight into an amp?? Then it's not your electronics, sounds like the problem may be in your headphones or mixer? I'm confused about the cuts in your frets also. Maybe try some different headphones?? Just a thought.

Comment

before i got the dxmg, i had a bc rich ironbird speedloader. they lowered the action without my permission, and within days, frets 1-4 had been cut by the strings d to bottom e. it was a fucking crap guitar anyway. as for the dxmg, i tried it clean into my mixer and there is a drop of approx 5db. when unplugged completely, there is no drop in sound. i am just as confused as anyone else as to why only the 1 string suffers. that's why the shop replaced the string and raise the EMG's.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

ended up with the same problem on my wrmg and a boss gt-8. changing my headphones...
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Definitely sounds like the headphones don't have a high enough frequency response.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i forgot to mention, my hearing is fucked. i suffer from ringing in the ears often. they are overly sensitive to high frequencies and less so with low-band frequencies. when listening to commercial releases, everything will sound normal. because i'm using the dt100's to mix with, the end result on my pc speakers is fizzy and thumpy. i can't afford to have a private engineer, so i figure changing my headphones will resolve the issue. i could go for some pro active speakers but my room is small, narrow and has a section at the end of the ceiling that sticks out by several inches. pretty crap room, hence the use of headphones. i'm tied to a shitty contract, so i can't move home for 8 months. shit.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                  X