turbocharger question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbocharger question

i already have a jackson dxmg but have just ordered a wrmg. apart from boosting the gain upto 20db with the "turbo-charger", should i be expecting any tonal difference between my dxmg and wrmg?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Re: turbocharger question

Due to different body shapes, the WRMG will sound slightly different than the DXMG without the preamp activated. Obviously, activating the preamp will dramatically change the sound...but you already know that.

Comment

I just wanted to add that the levels of gain you can get from the turbocharger are sickening.

Comment

sickening? as in crap or as in carefull you do blow up your amp?
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Both! If youre playinmg relativelyy clean and crank the boost on you can seriously damage your speakers (and ears) but if you are already on a high gain setting then all the boost will do is muddy up your sound. Use with caution my friend..

Comment

Just like THETRIUMPHOFSTEEL said, don't go using this on anything that you wouldn't put a hot preamp in front of. I'm sure it would be fine on the clean channel of most tube heads, since the only thing it will do is heat up the preamp tubes more, but it would shred the speakers of a solid state amp. We're talking massive amounts of clipping, because 20db is a LOT of gain.

Just like the gain on a modern amp, think before cranking the knob. Simply turning it up all the way will turn everything to mud. However, dialing it in for your setup can produce some cool results. On my DK-27, the push/pull knob turns it on, and the knob does nothing when it's off. You can set it, leave it, and then pull the knob whenever you want the extra bost.

Comment

i have a Boss GT-6 which has preamps in it. i only use a JC-120 setting on that but also use a lot of distortion. this FX unit then goes into a roland vs1880 digital workstation at line level. i just hope i don't end up with my WRMG's turbocharger being a redundant feature and consequently the guitar ends up sounding identical to the DXMG.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Don't some of the old model series guitars have a similar boost circuit? Like the Model 6, could have sworn that had some sort of active gain boost.

The one on the MG I played was extremely hot, much moreso than I expected. It just absolutely ripped.

Comment

Charvel Model 6 had a JE-1200 active mid-boost. I personally found it pretty useless.

Comment

i was thinking of using the turbocharger and turning off or drastically reducing the preamp on my gt-6 fx, maybe also reducing the input level on my mixer too...
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                    X