Better EMGs for my DKMGT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better EMGs for my DKMGT?

I am thinking about putting some better pickups in my trans-green DKMGT. I am eyeballing EMG-81s or 85s, but in all honesty, I have no idea what I want! My musical tastes run the gammut from Kiss to Rush to Megadeth, but I want to be able to get a nice clean tone as well. I wanted to stick with EMGs, as I think the DKMGT is a classy looking guitar, and the EMGs contribute to that look.

So, I guess my questions are:

How would an 81/85 combo (Zakk Wylde setup, maybe?) work for my musical styles? Would I just end up using the existing master volume and master tone knobs? Would I need to cram an additional battery inside, or could the pickups run off the same one as the turbo charge? Would the turbo charge still work (does anyone really use the turbo charge?)

I am new to the world of guitar customization and to this forum, so thanks in advance for any advice.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Re: Better EMGs for my DKMGT?

I have an EMG 81 in the Bridge of my Jackson USA AT Soloist Custom. It rips [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] It sounds really awsome thru my VHT Pittbull CL-100. I have heard the 85 is a little less brutal. I have played thru many pickup/guitar combos, and this pickup is my favorite by far. I don`t know if they will run off of the mid-boost system in your Jackson, but I do know that EMG Active pickups use 25K pots. The ENG`s in your Jackson are HZ`s, and they are passive. Jack.

Comment

I have two Jackson Dinkies with EMGs. One is the 81b/85n combo and the other is the 85b/60n combo. I prefer the 85 in the bridge over the 81. The 85 has a little more mids and body to the tone and I think it's better than the 81. The 85/60 is my favorite combo.
      If you're going to get an 81/85 setup like Zakk Wylde, I'd switch the pups around and definitely keep the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Damm Toejam, now I have to try a guitar with an 85 in the Bridge, you have me wondering about the sound difference with the 81 [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] The 81 in my Jackson is really brutal thru my VHT Pittbull, I wonder what the 85 would sound like? Does the 85 have more pinch harmonics? I play some brutal stuff, and want the more brutal of the 2 [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

The 81 is great, has more high end and a ceramic magnet. The 85 has an alnico magnet and just sounds warmer and chunkier to me. Years ago I loved a more high end trebly sound and probably would have only wanted an 81, but I think the 85 sounds better to me now. I believe both have the same amount of output, maybe a little bit more on the 85 from what I remember (now I gotta go dig out my catalog and check the specs), just the 85 is eq'd to give a little more mids and rounder sound. I use it in my string-thru Dinky that I usually keep in Drop D tuning, and the harmonics jump out and the overall sound is very in your face! Either way, EMGs kick ass and you can't go wrong! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ December 27, 2002, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mr. Slayer, do you have any pics of the Archtop Soloist? I just got a Archtop Pro from KV_X and it is really sweet. [email protected] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I have to work today, but later I will shoot you some pictures,there were only 2 made in 1993,I still can`t believe I actually own a Custom Shop Jackson [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Get an 81 and an 85 and try them out for yourself. EMGs are dirt simple to install. And the great thing for you is that you can easily try each pickup out in both positions--the pickups are attached to the wiring by a plug, meaning that you can swap the pickups around with no trouble at all once you've got the wiring installed in the guitar by simple unplugging one pickup and plugging the other one in--no rewiring necessary.

The pickups will come with the necessary pots and output jacks prewired, so you will only have to do a little bit of soldering to get your guitar set up. You will end up replacing all of the existing pots in your guitar, though you could probably use the existing output jack, since most preamp-equipped guitars also use a three-point jack that EMG's require for the battery attachment. The EMG-supplied one is probably higher quality, since I think Jackson cuts costs on the imports by using cheaper electronic components.

As far as 81 vs. 85, I've used both in the bridge position of Charvel neck-thrus and don't find them to be dramatically different from each other. the 81 is a slightly brighter pickup, while the 85 might be better for "jug-a-jug jug" rhythm playing, but either is great in the bridge. I actually like the 81 a lot in the neck position, as well, because it is bright enough to give you plenty of sound options--you can always roll off the tone control if you want to go into Tal Farlow/Barney Kessel jazz mode. But again, an 85 would also sound great there.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Looks like an 81/85 combo will eventually be a good way for me to go.

As none of my local pals play guitar, it is great to have a knowledgable, friendly resource to bounce this stuff off of. Much appreciated.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
                  X