EMG Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG Suggestion

I know this has been posted many times for advice, and I wanted to know if anyone else has this combination.

I am thinking about the EMG-89 in the neck, and the 85 in the bridge.

Anyone have this setup?

Re: EMG Suggestion

HELL YES!!! That's almost my signature combination right there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I had it in my old KE3 Kelly Professional... it ended up strangely sounding like the Les Paul Custom that I currently have. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The single volume pot was a push-pull pot so that I could split the neck EMG-89.

Comment

How do you even fit the batteries and preamps into that tiny compartment on a kelly?

Comment

Preamps are in the pickups, and there's plenty of room for a battery.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

the pickups come with a battery clip... and there is plenty of room in the control cavity
          Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

That's best best EMG combo out there. So I say GO WITH IT.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              HELL YES!!! That's almost my signature combination right there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I had it in my old KE3 Kelly Professional... it ended up strangely sounding like the Les Paul Custom that I currently have. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The single volume pot was a push-pull pot so that I could split the neck EMG-89.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL NOTP preaches that combo! He's convinced me to do it to my KE3:

I just need the EMG89. Dare I say I might go for an EMG60?

I just hope I have enough room for 2 9 volt batteries.

Comment

Thanks for the response guys!!

I think I will go with it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Dare I say I might go for an EMG60?

[/ QUOTE ]
                  60s are great neck pups! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I personally love the 85 in the bridge with either an 81 or 60 in the neck. Never tried the 89, but it's supposed to be the same as the 85, just with the SA single coil sound thrown in.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have an 89 in the bridge of my Hamer, with a slanted SA at the neck. Unfortunately, the push-pull for the 89 is messed up, so that when I split it to single mode, it doesn't want to split back.
                    sigpic

Comment

all i have is a couple of DK's with 81s in them.
                      They do the Nasty tone, real well
                      Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

DonP, that is a bitchin' KE3! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Did you finally get a DK1 neck and fit it to the KE3 body? How'd that work out for you? I must have missed a topic where you reported the results. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                        How do you even fit the batteries and preamps into that tiny compartment on a kelly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good question. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I shall provide visuals:

As you can see, the damn 9V battery was a tight fit in the tiny cavity, so the cavity cover actually bulged up a bit! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It didn't rub against me when I was standing up to play the guitar though. Me and my skinny ass... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Might as well post a pic of the front to show the EMG-85/EMG-89 combo, huh? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          DonP, that is a bitchin' KE3! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Did you finally get a DK1 neck and fit it to the KE3 body? How'd that work out for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually got the DK-1 neck a while ago, picked up a KE3 on the bay for $195, and picked up other parts here and there. The last part of the puzzle was a black bridge that I got from Travis. Now, just need to slap in the EMG's and I'm set. It plays really good but I still need to do a setup and intonate the bridge.

Comment

Well, I don`t use a neck pickup, but for a bridge EMG, and for the wood combo you have, go for the 85, more umph in the low mids than the 81. If it were all mahogany, I would say try the 81 first.That is exactly how the KE3`s should be made in the solid colors and graphics, with black hardware and the DK2 neck, that looks sweet!! They all should come with the DK2 style neck. Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              They all should come with the DK2 style neck.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              The old Kelly XL had black hardware, binding and sharkfins, and the XLR was basically the same thing except with reverse sharkfins and reverse headstock. I had an XLR from the mid '90s, and RacerX had an XL. Those were killer guitars!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X