Will a Jackson JT-580 Trem Fit My JS1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a Jackson JT-580 Trem Fit My JS1

So as some of you know I'm upgrading a JS1 that I bought new for $75. One of the big questions as to what to replace other than pick-ups was the Trem. I found several JACKSON JT-580 FLOYD ROSE GUITAR BRIDGES on E-bay. The cost was like $60. Will this fit my JS1 Dinky body with out having to route.?

Re: Will a Jackson JT-580 Trem Fit My JS1

I don't think so, if I remember yours was a non-recessed trem, but I forget.

a $60 trem = a $135 guitar now.

I got this for $222 shipped. The picjups should be good copies of the Duncan Distortion neck and bridge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Comment

Yeah, I would just sell the js1 for a profit and try and score a cheap performer or something like that. They are great guitars, cheap, and have all the goodies that you seem to want. But to answer your question, No. You will have to redrill the holes for the floyd studs. They are not the same spacing as your present 2 point trem. Then you will find that these trems on ebay all have the short block, designed to be recessed in the body. In short the block will not stick out enough for the trem springs to reach it. You will need to score a long block floyd or copy which are not so common and much more expensive. I dont know if the actual cavity will have to be modded to fit a floyd. If you get a cheap performer or similar you can in time replace all the hardware and electronic to your liking without having to do any major work. IMHO, a better option.

Comment

*nods*
        You will not fit any type of Floyd on there without some serious mods. The most difficult one would be adding the locking nut. You would have to let a luthier do it if you want it done well, and it WILL be very expensive.

Putting that much money into a JS-1 isn't worth it. Just get a new guitar that already has the Floyd installed from the factory. That will be much cheaper.

Comment

If you want to keep the JS-1 and upgrade it, how about a higher-quality fulcrum trem and locking tuners? As a former JS-1 owner myself, I can say that it really was a good guitar for the $200 I paid (new) at the time. Not sure if a Wilkinson trem would fit without routing, but that's one option worth investigating. My JS-1 had no fret or truss rod issues, but the stock tuners were horrid, so if you like the feel of the neck, locking tuners would be the next logical upgrade in my opinion.
          sigpic

Comment

I replaced the tuners with a set of Grovers. The guitar plays great. the only other thing I am replacing are the pickups which no matter which low end Jackson you buy you would more than likely do that.

So if I for go the new Trem. What can I replace the bridge with. I want all of the hardware to be Black. Even if I changed to a hardtail bridge.

I agree I don't want to put a ton of $$ into this guitar, but I don't want to sell it either.

Suggestions?

Comment

If you want to just black out the hardware, I wonder if you can paint a trem? It would have to be roughed up first for the paint to grip. Just a thought....

Comment

Yeah, you could probably have the trem sand/bead blasted and powdercoated black. But maybe it would be less fuss to just buy a black replacement bridge?

Hipshot has a floating 2-point vintage style trem that is available in black for $83:
                Link: Hipshot Trem at GPD

Comment

Thanks Sunbane. That may be the way to go.

Comment

But will it fit without re-drilling the studs?

Comment

Hmm...I honestly don't know. Your best bet would probably be to e-mail a retailer and ask. Measure the distance between the center of your posts so they have something to go on.

Comment

That looks like it is designed to replace a U.S. strat bridge. You need to find out what your present trem post spacing is. Measure it. Another way to get a ballpark idea is to check out how your E strings go over the posts. Do they pass directly over, a bit to the side, completely away from them? Then you can look at the ones on ebay and see how the pivot points relate to the saddle positions. This way you can definately rule out a lot of them, and the ones that look right, you can ask for a measurement. Some have the solid pivot point on one side and then a long edge on the other to make up for minor differences. I think a wilkinson works this way.

Comment

The Hipshot is designed to replace a Strat Bridge. Guess I need to start measuring and inquiring more.

Comment

What if I were to replace the existing 2 Point Fulcrum trem with another one just in black. But what model?

Comment

Sorry to be a party pooper, but after almost 10 years of searching I have to this day not found a bridge in any quality from any manufacturer that will retrofit the JS-series stud spacing... I can´t even find out who made the original fulcrum...

Comment

Working...
                              X