Pick Ups Pick Ups Pick Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick Ups Pick Ups Pick Ups

So I just got a brand new Jackson JS1 in black for $75 from a guy closing his music store.

Now I plan on customizing this baby by adding the following.
    *Black Grover Tuners
    *Black Floyd Double Locking Trem
    *Black Dome Knobs
    *Black Jack Plate
    *Black Schaler Strop Locks

*BUT WHAT ABOUT PICK UPS???????????
    I am so confused on which pickups to put in this thing. I originally was thinking the EMG 81/85 combo but then someone said DiMarzio and others suggest Seymour Duncan.....ArrrrH. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Any suggestions?

Re: Pick Ups Pick Ups Pick Ups

Wow... That's a friggin' AMAZING deal! Damn...

Comment

All depends on what you're playing......... And yeah, amazing deal!

Comment

I know thats always the question. I tend to play a wide range from Zep to 80's Hair Metal to Metallica. If I had to make a choice I would have to say 80's Hair metal or Early Van halen are my favs. I have a Fender Strat that gives me more of that 70's tone. I want this guitar to be for metal/hard rock.

PS this was intended to be posted in the Import Jackson Category ...my apologies.

Comment

I use mostly JB/Jazz combos and I have a couple guitars with Super D's. The Duncans are my favorite though.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I think most people here like the Seymour Duncans. I have heard samples of a variety of their pickups. After a while they all start to sound the same. Thats why it's importatnt to speak with people that actually use them. Otheres I have spoken with like the Dimarzio. Great pickup but maybe not best for a Jackson.

Comment

If going with EMGs, I'd say 85 bridge with either an 81 or 60 neck. If passive, DiMarzio Super Distortion or Super 3 for the bridge with a Super 2 neck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have always loved the Alnico II Pro by Seymour Duncan. You can get a lot of good sounds from them.

I have also put a Screamin Demon on the Bridge and a Pearly Gates on the Neck of an old Jackson DR3 and it was amazing too. You could get some good leads and smooth bluesy rhythm. Mix them up and they were sweet.

Comment

Is there any issues I should know about for installing any of these pickups on this guitar?

Comment

custom5/jazz

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Is there any issues I should know about for installing any of these pickups on this guitar?

[/ QUOTE ]
                      You will need to know how to solder. If you do, then there shouldn't be any problems. If not, you may want to let a tech do it. The EMG pickups also require special pots and jack, but those are shipped with the pickups when you buy them.

I second what Toejam said about the EMGs, with one exception: I personally really dislike the EMG-81. It's dry as a bone - very flat sounding and uninspiring pickup. It's okay for high gain situations, which is why I would use it in the bridge position if I had to use one at all. It sucks big-time for cleans (IMO).

The EMG-85 rules over the 81 (in any position). It just has more sneer, growl and balls, and will let you play anyting from blues to death metal. It is darker sounding than the 81, but I've found that I really like the sound of it in the neck position as well as the bridge position.

If you want to have coil splitting ability, the EMG-89 is the way to go. It sounds similar to the 85, and when split it sounds like an EMG-SA singlecoil.

Comment

If you want metal, I'd say either the Duncan Invader, Custom, Distortion, or JB for the bridge, and a Distortion or '59 neck. I've tried just about every Duncan pickup, and those are my favorites.

Comment

I can definitely vouch for a '59 in the neck. It's great for smooth leads.

Comment

Duncan: Custom Custom-bridge
                            Duncan: '59-Neck

You would have a great punchy bridge pick-up. (You would be hearing mostly the pick-up, over the guitar). The '59 in the neck is very sweet with a bit of grit.

Comment

It really is a matter of taste but from what your all telling me it seems that my choices are narrowed to the EMG or Duncan.

I do know how to soilder so that shouldn't be an issue. my concern was will these types of pickups fit in to this body type without any modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X