HELP!! Im losing faith in my Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! Im losing faith in my Jackson

Ive had my DKMGT for almost a year now, and although its a dream to play, I'm noticing this constant 'ringing' sound when I use the bridge pickup. I thought it might just be the HZ pickups, but it actually got worse when I tried a JB, and '59.
    Also, I think that overall the tone is pretty weak. Its gotten so bad I've gone back to using my DeArmond M70, and it sound heaps better!!
    Any ideas on how I can 'fatten' the sound up?

Re: HELP!! Im losing faith in my Jackson

Check to make sure all your hardware isn't loose, no screws loose... I've heard of some strange noises coming from something as simple as a loose tremolo, or perhaps loose bridge or saddles in your case...

Does this 'ringing' sound only happen on certain strings ?

Comment

I think I know your problem: I usually play with strings, you should try them! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

First thing to check is the hardware, like mentioned above. I'd also check the relation of the strings to the frets, as there might be some freakish harmonics escaping there somewhere. I'm not going to advise you on the electronics, I'm ignorant on that area still, however it's a fair assumption to assume the problem is pertained in those somewhere.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I'd also check the relation of the strings to the frets, as there might be some freakish harmonics escaping there somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
        *nods*
        String buzz is a serious tone drain.

Comment

It'd help to have a better explanation of the ringing sound.
          What size strings are you using on it when the ringing occurs?

Try weaving a cloth through the strings behind the nut, they could be resonating due to the angle.

Try weaving a cloth through the strings behind the bridge, as they may also be ringing.

Check that your bridge pickup springs are fairly tight, not loose or wobbly.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah,we totally need to fix that one. Look at how gorgeous it is.

Comment

I think in addition to what Newc asked, are you doing some crazy detunings?

Nice guitar, BTW.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                It'd help to have a better explanation of the ringing sound.
                What size strings are you using on it when the ringing occurs?

Try weaving a cloth through the strings behind the nut, they could be resonating due to the angle.

Try weaving a cloth through the strings behind the bridge, as they may also be ringing.

Check that your bridge pickup springs are fairly tight, not loose or wobbly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im using 10-46 Fender NPS strings.

Actually, the ringing sound IS like an ugly 'upper-mids harmonic', much like the sound you get when you strum behind the bridge!

Thanks for the advice everyone; I'll check all the hardware and the action again and dampen behind the bridge when I get home. With any luck I'll be able to leave the DeArmond in its case at tonights show!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

It's the ghey inlays. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Nice guitar, BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do use some strange tunings occasionally (E, A#, E, A#, E, A# is my fave..) but mostly I just use standard tuning. It doesnt seem to make a difference to the problem, except that the EA# tuning sounds horrible anyway, so it masks the ringing! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I had another idea too. Could it be that Ive put the tunomatic bridge on backwards? Does it even make a difference? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

Nice guitar, BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do use some strange tunings occasionally (E, A#, E, A#, E, A# is my fave..) but mostly I just use standard tuning. It doesnt seem to make a difference to the problem, except that the EA# tuning sounds horrible anyway, so it masks the ringing! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I had another idea too. Could it be that Ive put the tunomatic bridge on backwards? Does it even make a difference? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. I need a better picture (or several) of your bridge. A Nashville TOM goes on with the screws away from the neck. An ABR-1 has the screws toward the neck. If you put it on backwards, most of the saddles will be backwards (ramp should be away from the body). Also, your intonation would be all messed up.

Also check to see if the strings on the backside of the bridge are hitting the bridge. They should clear the backside of the bridge and not hit anything.

Comment

thats a beautiful guitar, if you dont wanna keep it, Ill take it off your hands [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

BTW yours looks like a Nashville, so the intonation screws should be pointing toward the back of the guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            BTW yours looks like a Nashville, so the intonation screws should be pointing toward the back of the guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Nope, doesn't matter. Jackson's always had them facing towards the neck (the current Dinky HX and the one I used to own both had it this way). Though, you can flip it and set the intonation with it the other way.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I guess in Gibson land, that's how things are.

But what about the saddle ramps? On an LP, the saddle drops down straight on the neck side, and has a ramp on the back side. I've seen plenty of LP's with the saddles backwards, usually ABR-1's on the low E and A.

If the ramp is on the neck side, I reason that the string doesn't have a clean break from the bridge saddle, and it may cause weird issues. Maybe not, but I change the saddles on all of my ABR's to point the right way. And when Dan Erlewine set up my LP with a Tone Pro's bridge, he made all the saddles going the right way as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X