WRMG worth the upgrade from WRXT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WRMG worth the upgrade from WRXT?

I'm a warrior fan, and I'm kinda thinking about getting one as the next axe. Here's the upgrades that I saw on the friend:

Bound fretboard
    EMG's
    pickup booster

I'm not sure these are really upgrades to me. I'm not much for a pickup booster, if anything it's only more of a pain in the butt. Just one more thing to go wrong at the gig. Not too mention it's advertised as "sticking out for solo time" when it really wouldn't do that, it would just kick up the distortion.

What does a bound fretboard do for anything?

Are there any other upgrades that really do anything?

If this is all the upgrade is, I think I'd just stick with the XT, and throw in some better pickups.

Re: WRMG worth the upgrade from WRXT?

Well, they are mostly cosmetic differences. To my ears, the HZs are inferior to DDs and the booster is rather useless, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
    I like bound fretboards and 24th fret inlays, the Piranhas are somewhat different, and there's no XT in Trans Green. If you don't care for that kinda stuff, an XT will get the job done just as well. AFAIK, the woods are the same, the hardware is basically the same, whatever.

Comment

I like bound fretboards as well. Nothing looks classier than a bound ebony fretboard with real MOP sharkies. The Piranhas would look cool if they were real MOP and on an ebony board as well.

As far as electronics, I'm handy with a soldering iron so it makes no difference to me.

Comment

IMO it's not really worth the upgrade... now if you got an early 90's Warrior Pro on the used market, THAT would be an upgrade! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        If you don't need a second axe for backup reasons (or different tunings) you could just as well get new pickups for the WRXT. A bound fretboard is nice, but IMO doesn't justify a whole new guitar if it's the only reason. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I don't really notice any functional difference with bound boards. If anything, I actually prefer the feel of an unbound board.

Comment

I would take the WRMG myself, although the X-models have improved in the last year or so. I'm not a big fan of plastic inlays, and I like binding, so my preference would be the bound fretboard and smaller inlays of the WRMG. I don't like either variety of pickups, but I might get some use out of the AfterBurner.
            sigpic

Comment

Take this for what it's worth, but the Harmony Central review ratings for the WRXT are a fair bit lower than those of the WRMG. I was considering the MG and thinking of ebonizing the fretboard AND goofy little inlays heh heh.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Okay, thanks for the insight. As for bound fretboards, I've never noticed much on feel. I guess it's not that important to me. I'll have to go back to the shop and try to pick out the difference.

Comment

Working...
                X