Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Jackson/Charvels through the age.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Jackson/Charvels through the age.

This is a rather simple question but I don't doubt many people's opinions may diverge.
    People very often comment on mid/later 80s Jackson and Charvel imports (model and temporary series for Charvel, and pro series for Jackson).
    Now the question I'm pondering about concerns those ( I hope it's the right section of the forum? It was dodgy to place).
    Out of a warmoth soloist, a Jackson pro series from the 80s, a Charvel model 5 or 6, and a modern SL3, which do you think has the best build and wood quality? It may seem like a weird question but I need a clear goal to start saving up and I'd like to chose what to get way in advance hehe...

Re: Japanese Jackson/Charvels through the age.

Personally, I have two Pro Soloists and one each Model 6 and Model 2 (bastard). Between the Soloist Pro's and the Model 6 the question is really how thick you like the neck and the fretboard wood you prefer. The neck on the 6 is a little thicker and the slab is rosewood. The Soloists are thinner and ebony. Both have bound boards. I love all three, but I'll take the Soloists. And, there's no way I'd trade one for an SL3. The SL3 isn't in my opinion as good a guitar as a Pro Soloist or Model 6. A Pro Soloist with EMGs is a thing to behold man, a weapon of mass destruction. So, I can't speak for the Warmoth, but either the 6 or the Pro would be the way to go, I think. 6's are great, great guitars. There really isn't a 'better guitar', but what better suits your personal preferences. You can't go wrong with an old Pro or 6. They are hard as hell to put down!
    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

The warmoth would be a maple neck bolted to an alder body, ebony fretboard, volume tone and split, with a single humbucker (which I have yet to chose) and a TOM bridge. If I got a guitar with a Floyd my main concern would be sustain... Right now on my model 4 it's decent but not amazing.

Comment

Without a doubt the 1990-91 Jackson Pros IMO.They are USA spec guitars , everything was the same execpt no "Made in USA" on the headstock.The Charvels are damn nice also.But the model series used crappy trems(mainly the JT6) and rosewood(which I do not like)boards.But put a Schaller or OFR on a model series and you have a killer guitar.The Warmoth would be nice as they make high quailty parts but would be a bolt on and resell value is terrible.The newer SL3 I have not played or seen in person so I can comment on.
        Mike
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Hehe the board on my 4 is just as dark as ebony and I haven't had troubles with the JT6. It's my first guitar too, and yeah I haven't gotten it too long ago so I guess I can't really comment but the trem does seem more than decent.
          I don't really care for high resale value. Right now I'll focus on playing but I just want another toy to satisfy my GAS (pretty bad for a rather beginning person).
          I know I probably come up as a spoiled person who just started and gets great gear, but I'll be working all summer... I never got a job before (lived in a foreign country and I didn't speak the language) and this will be an opportunity to really make myself happy another time (I can't say I'm dissatisfied with the 4 so far, I love it)

Comment

I tried my friends SL3, it wasn't a bad guitar, but it was nothing special i guess you could say..

Comment

In a word... The 90's Jackson Pro Soloist. Or anything from that era. Ok so it was more than one word.. :P
              Gil

Comment

Another guitar to consider is the charvel 750xl. It's a set neck (with a contoured neck heel so it looks like a neck through) 24 fret rosewood board (with real MOP sharkfins) with an arch top. Its a damn thick guitar. Take a mahogany soloist body, then slap a maple cap on the top. Its got great sustain and has a schaller floyd on it as standard, although string through models were made as well. One word of warning if you get one, there's a strong chance you'll want to replace the pickups.

Comment

There's been THREE 750xl on the British ebay lately, they usually went for 350 pounds. I had them considered too, I'll see if new ones pop in.
                  How much do these Jackson pro soloists usually go for?

Comment

Ahh... I have a hard time remembering how much that last one went for... But a Pro Rhoads recently went for 520 dollars, if that would help? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yes it would! That's a nice price, thanks a bunch. How were they like? Jackson pickups, alder body, neck through, and Schaller Floyd...? I don't really know their specs (soloist and Rhoads)

Comment

Let me find you the link. It was (probably) alder or poplar wings, maple neck-thru, bound ebony board with MOP sharkfins, MOP Logo, bound headstock, Jackson pickups etc. I am not a Floyd fan so I know jackshit about what Floyd looks like what... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...91791&rd=1

Comment

PRO models were poplar and had the Schaller JT-590 trem.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I tried buying a 1990's RR Pro (bound ebony, MOP sharkies and Jackson logo) at GC for $499, but got in a fight with the prick salesperson and walked out. No case, both wing tips had 2" of paint chipped off (poor touch up job), the trem was way to low in the body (easy fix) and the serial number was scratched out (stolen?).

It wasn't there a few days later (did someone buy it or did the police take the stolen property?).

For $750 shipped, I bought a RR1 here in much better shape, with a case, and made in USA. Way better deal even if it cost me $250 more. A case would have been 1/2 of that.

I'd agree with getting a soloist pro, but they aren't easy to spot and sometimes aren't very cheap.

Comment

Working...
                            X