Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has changed the bridge pickup in their DK2???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has changed the bridge pickup in their DK2???

After a weekend with the DK2, I have come to the conclusion that the pickups are going to have to go. The DD HB-102 is great for leads, but it is muddy and undefined for chords. It is just not tight, like the ToneZone I have in the bridge of my Predator. I am going to first mess with the height and see if that improves things, but I am leaning toward a pickup swap.

So, who has changed the bridge P/U on their DK2? If so, what did you go with?

Thanks,

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Re: Who has changed the bridge pickup in their DK2

I replaced mine (back when I had it) with a Screamin' Demon. If I could do it all over again, I would have put a Duncan Distortion in there.

Comment

I did mine with a Duncan Distortion. I also routed out the neck pickup for a humbucker and put a Custom in it, and left the center pickup stock (didn't have anything to put in it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

I also put an OFR on it, and replaced the neck [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But yeah, definitely ditch the Duncan Designeds - they're ok for starters, but if you want to hear the guitar's tone, get a real pickup.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Duncan Distortion. Seems like the popular choice for this guitar. Right, Travis? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I was thinking of the DD. Hell, I have a J-90C laying around. I wonder what that would sound like?

Mike

Comment

I put a Dimebucker in the DK-2 I had , it screamed all over the place & great for chords also.
            According To The Prophecy

Comment

The J-90C should sound pretty close to a DD, it's the highest output pickup Jackson had except for the 95/C.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The J-90C should sound pretty close to a DD, it's the highest output pickup Jackson had except for the 95/C.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I own the J90C, so that is a plus! If I was home, and not out of town, I would pop it in and give it a whirl. I love this guitar...but it certainly needs a little upgrading.

Anyone try a Screaming Demon in a DK2?

Mike

Comment

The Screamin Demon is NOT a very good high gain pickup if you're looking for something like a Duncan Distortion, for one thing, it's NOT a high gain pickup, and two, as far as clarity - YUCK!! I had one in a maple neck-thru ESP once. Normally, that should be a bright sounding guitar, but it was a muddy mess with the Screamin Demon. I'm beginning to think that George Lynch is the only person who can make that thing sound good. If I'm looking for Lynch-like tones, for higher gain, the DD is the way to go, and for "mellower" stuff, I like the Full Shred.

Interestingly, most the guitars I see GL in ads with these days have DD's or something like that in them based on the magnet configuration. Hmmm...not using you sig model pickup. Interesting...

Once I get the time/energy/money/interst to do it, I plan on finding a Full Shred for my DK-2. If I can't find one, I'll go with the DD.

Comment

Tone Zone....Love it!!
                    Good deals with:
                    Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

I put a Screamin Deamon is my Explorer and it sounded like crap. It now has a JB. DD may be nice.
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Tone Zone....Love it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I have a Tone Zone in the Predator. It fucking kills. I am sure that it would kill in the DK2 as well. They may sound sonically different due to the differences in body woods (I don't think the Predator is Alder). However, I would like to try something different so that the guitars have different tones. I lowered the bass side of the stock P/U tonight and that actually tightened up the chords a bit. Still, the Predator has tone all over the DK2 with the Tone Zone in it.

I am leaning toward the DD. I mailed DiMarzio for a suggestion and they suggested the Norton. Never used one.

Who makes the Dimebucker??

Mike

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Who makes the Dimebucker??

[/ QUOTE ]

Seymour Duncan make it.

Comment

I discovered last night that the Duncan Designed will clear up quite a bit if you don't use as much gain. It was a totally different animal when I stopped pegging the gain on the V-Amp Pro. Still, needs an upgrade. If I was patient, I might consider a Bare Knuckles offering. However, I am more of a go to the store and buy it kind of guy.

So, at the moment these what I am considering:

Duncan Distortion
                            DiMarzio Super Distortion
                            Dimebucker

Any other options you guys can come up with?

Mike

Comment

That happens to me with my DSL100 on the high gain (ultra) setting. A hot pickup + this setting = pure mud.

So, I just don't push in the ultra button with hot pickups.

I bought a real JB to compare with the DD H102b, and to me, I found no difference big enough with keeping the JB.

I have a screamin demon in a maple body / rosewood bolt on neck and it sounds good for doing GL stuff. Wood is a big factor.

Comment

Working...
                              X