DK2S with EMG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2S with EMG's

I am considering getting a transparent black DK2S and replace the duncan designed hum and single with EMG's.

Would this be possible seen the wireing for the sustainiac pickup, have any of you done this ?

B.T.W. too bad it has no black hardware ...

Re: DK2S with EMG\'s

Although I never did any work on the DK2S that my son used to have, I did look inside the electronics cavity a couple of times. To be honest with you, it is so frikkin' crowded in there with the circuit board and extra wires for the Sustainiac, I don't even think you could squeeze a battery in there. One option may be to have someone install a second battery box on the rear next to the one that's there for the Sustainiac.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

mmm, [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] are the stock dd pups any good ?

Comment

They're ok. You'll probably want to replace them, though. I bought the DK2S from Easton Guitars about a year ago and had him install a SD Distortion in the bridge before he shipped it. I think I remember him saying he needed to contact the Sustainiac folks to make sure he didn't have any problems with the install. Some of the folks here on the JCF own/have owned a DK2S and have possibly swapped out the pups themselves and can lend some advice. Looking at the cavity though, I would have never attempted it myself. Too much going on in there. Keep in mind, I'm a rookie when it comes to working on my own stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] My advice would definitely be to let a pro handle it unless, of course, you ARE a pro. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I tried to do the pickup change myself (DiMarzio Super Distortion) and slightly screwed up the Sustainer. Nothing major, just that it has a slight hum when it wasn't there before (even when I am muting all strings). From experience, I would take my DK2S to my tech for any electronic stuff and would never do anything electronic on it myself again.

Btw, the stock pickups are quite decent... changing to a Super Distortion didn't make too much of a difference in the sound EXCEPT (and this is important) it made the Sustainer work MUCH MUCH better. The Sustainer effects are not very dramatic with the stock pickups, which I would assume to be lower output than the Super Distortion. But it absolutely SCREAMS with the Super Distortion when the Sustainer is turned on. Much easier to get pinch harmonics and the harmonics mode of the Sustainer works much better.

Comment

Thanx guys, guess i will not touch it and let a pro put in a SD pup for me, i have one lying around from a project guitar.

Do any of you have the transparent black DK2S, would be nice to see a picture of it, can't seem to find one on the net.

Cheers, arno

Comment

Give me your email addy and I'll send ya some pics of my son's.

Comment

[email protected]

remove the NOSPAM bit, thanx

Comment

Pics sent brutha.

Comment

Pic's are great mark, thanx a million !

you're son is gonna be one hell of a axeman when he grows up, is the dinky with the swirl the one he got to replace his DK2S ?

btw. where did you get that guitar maintenance set ?

Cheers, arno [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Your welcome. More than happy to help. I sold my son's DK2S to buy him an RX10D. The Crimson Swirl DK2 is mine. I've upgraded it since that pic was taken with black hardware, a SD Lil' 59 in the neck, all new electronics, and whenever I find the time I've got an OFR Pro to install. I just finished upgrading my Epi LPC so it's next on my list of things to do. I want to say that I bought the maintenance mat from Stew-Mac, but my memory is slipping. Quite a few places on the internet sell them though.

Comment

Cool upgrades for your DK2, that's gonna be a fine axe.

now i'm off to google this stew-mac maintanance mat. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X