Chopping up a DK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chopping up a DK2

I'm very seriously considering replacing the single coil in the neck of my DK2 for a full size hum. I know I've seen some pics posted here before of this but I cant seem to find em. Could anybody help me out with this by either posting more pics or giving me a link ? Thanks.

Re: Chopping up a DK2

I don't have any pics...but I had to look at this post.

I thought it was Newc's [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I thought that title might get some attention [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Why not go for a hum-cancelling single coil? Not the same thing, I know.

Comment

I did it once and was very happy with the way it turned out tone-wise (had a few problems with hacking the wood away, but .... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

I say do it. Jackson sorely needs an H-S-H DK-2.

I did mine with a Dremel and a router bit, but at the time I didn't have the router base for my Dremel, and it was only my second attempt at routing something, so I had a couple of boo-boos like a paint gouge next to the middle pickup cavity and one corner of the neck route was not covered by the pickup ring, but other than that, I just widened the neck pickup cavity a little at a time until a humbucker would fit in it.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Well, Jackson did have the DK-3 which was H/S/H that was in the 2000 catalog. I believe Pete had one for sale last year.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah. I know about that one. They need another one. Or at least a 2-hum DK-2 and H-S-S Fusion Pro [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Yeah. I know about that one. They need another one. Or at least a 2-hum DK-2 and H-S-S Fusion Pro [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two hum DK2ish is what I'm going for. I have a DXMG body and I'm trying to get a DK2 neck off ebay for a decent price but there's some yahoos out there getting in bidding wars too early. There was a DK2 neck with flame inlays on there a few days ago that went for over $400. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] I'm probably going to have to settle for a neck without binding.
                My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Really? Wish I woulda held onto the one I had [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, the flame inlays are ok, but they're distracting - they do present the same problem as a blank board - losing your place is easy unless you watch the side dots [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Really? Wish I woulda held onto the one I had [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, the flame inlays are ok, but they're distracting - they do present the same problem as a blank board - losing your place is easy unless you watch the side dots [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kinda what I'd expect if I had one. I knew it would go beyond what I was willing to shell out, but sheesh! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Why not go for a hum-cancelling single coil? Not the same thing, I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just like the sound and look of a full size hum , they seem to have a bit more girth.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I did it once and was very happy with the way it turned out tone-wise (had a few problems with hacking the wood away, but .... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

I did mine with a Dremel and a router bit, but at the time I didn't have the router base for my Dremel, and it was only my second attempt at routing something, so I had a couple of boo-boos like a paint gouge next to the middle pickup cavity and one corner of the neck route was not covered by the pickup ring, but other than that, I just widened the neck pickup cavity a little at a time until a humbucker would fit in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive made up my mind that Im doing it. Ive already got a router and have plenty of experience with it. Hopefully I wont make too many mistakes. But if I do , it adds to the character of the guitar

As soon as I get started I will post some pics in the tech Q&A area. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Go slow and remember; the main difference between a single and a hum cavity is front to back, and there's almost no difference side-to-side (mounting screw to mounting screw). If you go too far to the sides, you won't have anywhere to put the pickup ring screws.

Comment

Newc, Thanks for the tips dude. Luckily I tend to take my time when doing projects of this sort. I dont think a guitar with a gaping hole instead of a neck pick-up would be very useful or very good looking.

Comment

I'm an impatient bugger - I try to do it too fast and end up with mistakes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X