Changing the strap button on a kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the strap button on a kelly

Hello I had a question I was wondering if someone could help me. I have an imported kelly and it is a little top heavy. The strap button is in the middle of the guitar. On the usa models the strap button is level with the top of the floyd. If I move my strap button to this location would it help balance my guitar. Thanks in advance.

Re: Changing the strap button on a kelly

There have been several threads concerning this very topic. I have a import Kelly (Made in India) and it is very top heavy. After trying a total of five different locations changing one or both buttons, I decided the best fix was to leave the buttons in the original positions and pass the strap over the front of the guitar. While not perfect, I found this to be the best compromise. The added bonus is that you don't have to drill any holes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I did exactly what Overlord did when I had my KE3. It presses the guitar against you, staying mostly still.

I am basically a combination of not knowing how to drill holes in guitars, mixed in with a little lazy, a bit of cheapassness, and some resourcefulness. The result was the strap over the large wing of the Kelly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I did exactly what Overlord did when I had my KE3. It presses the guitar against you, staying mostly still.

[/ QUOTE ]
        So did I, but that was only to bring the body in and not tilt down towards the ground and away from my stomach. I feel that bolt-on Kelly models actually balance fine and that the neck-thru models are the ones that actually seem neck heavy and have the headstock tilt towards the ground a little, but they all have the tilting out problem.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

depending on how high i have my strap, i find the kelly changed how much it falls forward.
          i don't wan to drill any holes or modify the guitar in any way, so my decision is to compromise by making the guitar slightly higher, thereby coming close enoguh tomy body that it doesn't affect my playing.

Comment

Do this:

The balance is *perfect*. No drilling at all.
            the guitar tilts a bit forward yes, and I love that now because I can shred even with it slung low. I honestly cannot stand playing another guitar shape other than the kelly now.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

how about warriors? i kinda hate where button is closest to the neck. figured it would have made more sense to have it on the back of the guitar like the kellys?
                Hear the universe scream
                Bleeding from black holes
                Whom horns careless
                And whom God mourns

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Do this:

the guitar tilts a bit forward yes, and I love that now because I can shred even with it slung low. I honestly cannot stand playing another guitar shape other than the kelly now.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  could you explain a bit exactly how you accomplished this!? i might try it on my wrmg.
                  Hear the universe scream
                  Whom horns careless
                  And whom God mourns

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    how about warriors? i kinda hate where button is closest to the neck. figured it would have made more sense to have it on the back of the guitar like the kellys?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Drill a hole right behind it on the back. That's where I put mine when I had my Warrior.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      Do this:

[/ QUOTE ]
                      could you explain a bit exactly how you accomplished this!? i might try it on my wrmg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use one of the cavity cover and one of the neckplate screws and replace them with your strapscrews, and hey presto!
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Use one of the cavity cover and one of the neckplate screws and replace them with your strapscrews, and hey presto!
                        very clever!
                        Hear the universe scream
                        Whom horns careless
                        And whom God mourns

Comment

Working...
                        X