Neck replacement on JRR-94 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck replacement on JRR-94 question

I bought a JRR-94 Rhoads a few months ago that's in excellent shape, and the only modification I've done so far is to put a Duncan '59 in the bridge.

I've been keeping an eye open for a shark-fin 22 fret Jackson neck because I've been toying with the idea of replacing the original one. The main reason is that I think sharkies are cool!

However, I feel like dropping the money on a sharkie neck is not a wise investment on a cheap guitar in the first place. I also have to force myself to play this guitar because I can't stand the guitars tone, and I also despise the original neck because it is thinner and wider than the neck on my Dinky.

My gut feeling is to just live with the original neck, save up some money, and be able to buy the guitar I want further down the road instead of having some kind of parts mutt.

I figure that I'll unload it at almost any time, especially if I don't replace the neck because I really can't stand playing it. I've been an ace of listing it on e-Bay a couple of times

I would appreciate anyone's advice on what to do.

Re: Neck replacement on JRR-94 question

Jackson's Japanese-made models like that one are still better than most other imports, and if the only thing you don't like is the neck, I'd say just get a different neck.
    However, that's getting harder to do these days. There's a couple of people on Ebay getting rich by parting out Jacksons, and they can't keep enough parts in stock.

As for the tone, the '59 in the bridge of a Rhoads was the wrong way to go. Distortion or Custom, but not a 59; that's more of a vintage Les Paul thing. It'd sound good in the neck, but not in the bridge of that particular guitar.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Warmoth has a bunch of pointies in their showcase...some were under 200.00. The great thing about that is you can choose the neck profile you want...and later on down the road you can slap it on a warmoth V body, rhoads or ? body then sell your Concept as a stock axe.

HOWever.. since you feel this way..

"My gut feeling is to just live with the original neck, save up some money, and be able to buy the guitar I want further down the road instead of having some kind of parts mutt.

I figure that I'll unload it at almost any time, especially if I don't replace the neck because I really can't stand playing it. I've been an ace of listing it on e-Bay a couple of times"

[img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]...I think you answered your own question. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Newc, you're right, the 59 was the wrong way to go. It's a lot better than the original pick-up (which I could not stand), but still a far cry from the tone I wanted. Thanks for the pointer to the Distortion or Custom. If I decide to go for a sharkie neck then I'll have to complete my fate and change the bridge pick-up again.

You're right about the people making a killing off of the Jackson parts on e-Bay, those parts certainly seem hot right now.

It seems to me that the only 22 fret sharkie Jackson necks I see on e-Bay end up coming from Floyded guitars, and even those are few and real far between. I don't recall any string-thru bodys with 22 fret sharkies, but I could be wrong.

charvelguy, while posting this I thought the same thing you pointed out. The stubborn side of me wants to sink a couple of hundred into this axe and try to make it the player I want it to be. The miniscule sanity side of me tells me I'm throwing good money after bad if I go that route.

Comment

Do a google search for: TNT custom guitars. THey also have a parts shop that has Jackson style replacement necks. Not to mention Mighty Mite and All parts.

You can usually find a Mighty Mite (Very good quality) on ebay for $100 +/- $20

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            ... There's a couple of people on Ebay getting rich by parting out Jacksons, and they can't keep enough parts in stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. I've been tossing around the idea of a project guitar and have been keeping a close eye on ebay. One of those folks Newc is talking about is taking brand-spanking new guitars and parting them completely out. The pup cavities are so clean you could eat outta them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] There was a Crimson Swirl RR3 body that I was thinking about grabbing to build to go along with my Crimson Swirl DK2 but it got snatched up while I was researching the other parts needed.

I haven't totalled up what they're making by doing this, but I'm inclined to think they're making a whole lot more than just selling the guitar outright.
            My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
            X