Early 90's RR Pro question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 90's RR Pro question

Did any of the early 90's RR Pros come with a string thru set up like the current RR5 or RR1T? Or did they all have the Schaller trem?

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but how is the quality on the RR5's? Would you say they are better, equal or of lower quality than the early 90's Pro series?

Re: Early 90\'s RR Pro question

I am not aware of any early 90's string through Rhoads Pro guitars. And when I say "Rhoads Pro" I'm referring to the original neck throughs with ebony boards, bound neck/headstock, pearl logo, etc. These guitars are far better than the RR5 of today. Still the RR5 is nice, but for a lot less than a new RR5 you can get the better (used) original Pro. Will be very identical to the USA, the necks are a tad bit fatter, but that's it.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I'm thinking I might get a Rhaods next and I would really prefer a string thru. I guess I'll have to suck it up and plunk down the change for a true USA. It's not like I'm going to be disappointed in the quality.

Comment

I use to own 2 Rhoads Pro's and loved them except for those damn Schaller trems [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] My strings would break constantly on them and on my Original Floyd Rose equipped guitars the strings never break even after countless days/months of thrashing on them!!! Anyone else notice/have/had this problem with the Schaller trems?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I use to own 2 Rhoads Pro's and loved them except for those damn Schaller trems [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] My strings would break constantly on them and on my Original Floyd Rose equipped guitars the strings never break even after countless days/months of thrashing on them!!! Anyone else notice/have/had this problem with the Schaller trems?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not! The Schallers are just as good as the Floyds. You may have had something wrong with yours, maybe string burrs or misaligned saddles. I have a Jackson/Schaller from 1989, one of the oldest by the way, and it operates, sounds, and feels just like all the Floyds I use...

Comment

Yeah, I've got a Schaller on my 650xl (with an 88 serial # I might add) and I never have a problem with strings breaking. I've just kind of gotten out of using the trem. That's why I'm looking for a string thru.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I guess I'll have to suck it up and plunk down the change for a true USA. It's not like I'm going to be disappointed in the quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to wait for the RR24. MIJ, string through, dark fretboard, 24 frets.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

hey travis, i asked the same question 4 month ago. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                i wanted a rhoads with string thru and all the features of the old Pro series guitars, like you want, so i had to a decide between a RR-5 (string thru) and a Rhoads Pro (FR).
                i bought a Pro with floyd, because of the better quality of the old MIJ guitars, and it was cheaper as buying a new RR-5. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ron, when is the RR24 supposed to be coming out?

Joe, I have thought about that as well. I really want to try a Rhoads, as I've wanted one for many, many years. I guess I could save a few bucks and get a Rhoads Pro just to make sure I really like the body shape (since I'm so used to traditional double cutaway body shapes). If I like it as much as I hope I do, I can always get a USA later. Of course, then there's my idea of a custom korina XTRR....

Comment

Oh yeah, were the trems on the Pro series RRs recessed or no?

Comment

Yes, the early Pros were recessed.

Comment

Man, Ron is slippin'. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] He replied earlier in this thread and didn't pick up the Rhoads spelling error in a prior post.

Comment

Well, in my defense it was more of a typo than a spelling error. There is a subtle difference.

Comment

Working...
                          X