Ok some questions about the KVX10s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok some questions about the KVX10s

Here's the deal, I'm looking for a King V with a non trem and its a nightmare to find an old KV1. Is the KVX10 worth it? Is it Japanese or Korean, and with all the mods to make it a monster is it worth it?

Re: Ok some questions about the KVX10s

[ QUOTE ]
    Here's the deal, I'm looking for a King V with a non trem and its a nightmare to find an old KV1. Is the KVX10 worth it? Is it Japanese or Korean, and with all the mods to make it a monster is it worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some of the really early ones were made in India, but for the last few years they have been made in Japan like all X-series guitars.
    At least mine (a '03) is made in Japan, and it's one hell of a guitar for the money!
    Great unplugged sound. The neck is the best... feels very smooth and comfy, just suits me perfect.

I only had to do two mods: I swapped the bridge pickup (Duncan Designed HB-103, which is a bit muddy in the lower register) for a real Seymour Duncan Distortion (which the DD is modeled after). That gave it more clarity and punch.
    Second mod: I relocated a strap button to get rid of the nosedive.

Although the KVX10 doesn't feature fancy stuff like binding or real MOP, it is a workhorse. Good build quality, very solid, stays in tune well, and is very light... which makes it a perfect live guitar.
    For playing live I even prefer it over my Soloist Archtop Professional! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    You'll just want better electronics... that's where they really save money with the imports.

And here are some live pics of it where you can see the strap button mod:

http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

That´s amber sunburst, right?
      Cool axe!!

Comment

Hey fifth, nice lookin axe! Did you replace the bridge? And what was the fret work like?

Comment

No, his bridge is stock, it's a JT390. Pre 2002 X series were made in India, you want to avoid those. I have a black '04 KVX10 that I plan to modify soon and I love it!
          I haven't had any nosediving problems, and I'm also putting a DD in the bridge position.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Kick ass I sooo want KV1, but it looks like there are none to be had. So I thought maybe this would a good alternative.

Comment

Yes, back then when I ordered it, it was the last KVX10 in Amber Sunburst left in the European warehouse.
              And I think then Fender took over and for a while no new Jacksons arrived in Europe at all.
              I consider myself very lucky. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I didn't need to replace the bridge, everything is fine with it. The fretwork is great, no high frets, no excess glue or anything... at least nothing that I would notice.
              http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Working...
              X