Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIJ return to quality - whadda ya think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIJ return to quality - whadda ya think?

I am on the lookout for a USA so I went to a guitar store to see what they had. I had seen the SLSMG's, but never played one until today. That thing is AWESOME! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I was really impressed. It seemed very well made with a lot of attention to detail. The only thing I could find wrong with it was that the neck and headstock bindings didn't meet exactly (and I am really picky). Do you think that the MG series is back to the "as good as USA" level? (Of course the retail is not far from a USA)

Re: MIJ return to quality - whadda ya think?

Only the original Pro line is worthy of the claim you are hoping for. Perhaps in time it will return to its former glory, but for now, not even close. Remember, the original Pro line was planned during the very end of Grover Jackson's involvement with the company. He personally over saw the Japanese plant (which had been making Charvels since 1986) to ensure that quality was top rate. And the materials were top rate too: mother of pearl logo on the headstock, genuine mop sharkfins, ebony boards, binding, active electronics, Jackson pickups, Schaller/Jackson double locking trems, and excellent paint. All of those factors haven't been seen since the original line was ended. After all, what's the point in having a Japanese plant that offers the same as the USA plant? No one would buy USA, and that's exactly what began to happen around 1994 or so when they nixed the line. Today's versions are nice, but are a far cry from the original Professionals.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

What C750 said [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

While the Japanese guitars are indeed of very good build quality, they do miss some features that USA guitars have, like real MOP and all the other stuff mentioned above (granted, the higher priced imports have binding too).
        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Joe, you are so right! The new imports can't hold a candle to the early 90's ones.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Absolutely, they cannot, and likely never will! But the modern import line isn't horrible. I doubt very much that we will ever see imports again with all of these upscale features: ebony boards, mop logo inlays, mop sharkfin inlays, neck/head binding, and the same hardware/pickups on the USA lines. That's why the original Pro series was nixxed to begin with...
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I was looking at an old guitar world buyer's guide (I have a ton of em: every now and then I come across some weirdo instrument on ebay or a pawn shop and look em up!) and the price difference between an early 90s japanese soloist and a USA was only a few hundred bucks.

*!*

Pete

Comment

I bought a DK2 - my first Jackson. It was $285, new, but stamped "USED" on the headstock. It was something to try out, with sharkfins, binding, original headstock, 24 frets. For the price, it was a very good deal and a very good guitar. I like it alot. The frets are nicely polished. The fake MOP has depth and rainbow hues (better than Gibson's mother-of-toilet-seat), and the binding is a nice touch. The fretboard is waxed/polished rosewood, which plays great, but looks sort of like plastic (like laminate flooring).

My background is high end Gibsons, where $2500 is cheap. This low cost "try the waters" DK2 was good enough where I might hawk an SG or two to pay for a very high end collectable model.

I guess what I'm saying is these cheaper models are good enough to wet the appetite, and (I think) easily compete with other guitars at that price (MIM strats, Epi's, I-been-hads, etc). I have a very nice MIM strat, but I love hard rock/metal, and so this guitar only gets used to play some Deep Purple or Rainbow tunes.

Comment

I have a Pro Rhoads EX and it has a better feeling and playing neck than the Gibson LP and V that I USED to own. Heck, it's better than the EBMM Petrucci and AXIS that I owned.

It was the cheapest model of the Pro Series Rhoads and it's quality of construction is killer.

Comment

I own a MIJ SL4 from around 99' or so and it is definately comparable to a 01' USA SL1 as far as playability, sound, feel. It has about the same quality in the craftsmanship. It lacks the real MOP inlays and binding. The hardware is of lower quality (as far as electronics and floyd.)

Comment

Working...
                    X