Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments or opinions on the PS-2 series please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments or opinions on the PS-2 series please?

I purchased a used PS-2 yesterday really cheap. I am pretty sure that it is a Korean one given the dot markers placement.

I purchased it mainly because it was a steal and the hardshell case alone was worth the price. I really do not need another budget Jackson so I plan to part out the guitar save for the Floyd and some screws and knobs that I need to restore my Charvel Model 6.

Questions is how good (or bad?) is that Floyd as compared to the Schaller version. I now have a stock Jackson (JT-580 no?) on my Model 6 and I simply can not stand it.

Are the Korean versions that much worse than the Japanese ones? In what way did they suffer? Is that a photo flame finish or is that a real striped top as well?

Re: Comments or opinions on the PS-2 series please?

I'm too new to help but I'd like to know the answer to these questions as well.

I just bought my first Jackson, a Japanese DK2.

I think I have the JT-580LP, but I'm curious as to what is wrong with your JT-580 trem that you cannot stand it. From what I've read here, the cheaper trem is the JT-500, so that might be what you have on the PS-2. The tech forum has pictures of each so that you can compare.

Comment

Re: Comments or opinions on the PS-2 series please?

To the best of my knowledge, the maple top is real on the Performers, just a really thin veneer. The only photo tops I can recall were on some of the Pro models that were advertised as having "gravure quilt" tops.

The main issue with Korean vs. Japanese guitars at the time was build consistency, as Korean guitars weren't quite at the level that they are now. Some were good, some were bad. The first thing to check would be the frets, although after so many years, it'd be tough to say.

The trem is certainly no OFR or Schaller, but the main difference between the various trems is the metal quality. The "pot metal" trems found on a lot of inexpensive guitars tend to wear out faster, especially if you use the whammy a lot. Knife edges wear down faster and screws are more likely to strip. But the only trem I ever had problems with was a Schaller on a USA Hamer, so who can say?
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X