DK2 Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2 Upgrades

I used the search function, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I bought my first Jackson:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

And was curious what people do to upgrade these. I have seen some recommend a Duncan Distortion for the bridge pickup, and to replace the trem.

Or, would most say the best upgrade path would be to move up to a USA model (I really wanted an SL2H). I have plenty of pickups laying around (59, Pearly Gates, Full shread, TB Screamin' Demon, OBL L500XL) to keep me busy for a while.

Don

Re: DK2 Upgrades

Moving up to a USA Select model is the ultimate upgrade but initially the first thing to change is definitely the pups and then the electronics or trem depending on which one craps out first. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Again, I think you'll be very satisfied with the DK2. It's a great guitar.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Sorry for my newbe-ness, but I'm curious as to what you get with a USA Select model? Obviously made in USA, and how much more do these go for?

Comment

Add about $800-$1000 more than a DK2
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

The USA models all come with cases and tools. I personally wouldn't change anything other than the pickups if you don't like their sound. Other than that I'd be saving money for a USA and just use the DK2 as a backup.

Comment

Yeah I would change the pups I just changed the pups in my DK-2. I put a Dimebucker in the bridge & 2 hot rails in the mid & neck potions.
            According To The Prophecy

Comment

The cool thing about the DK-2 is it is usable right out of the box. The Duncan Design pups are suprisingly good. That said, I have mine set up with a Pearly Gates bridge and SSL-2 mid and neck. Changed the electronics out too, the stock stuff sucks. I have a pile of those crappy pots and switches. I also have a nice black OFR sitting here but I like the guitar as is so it's just sitting here waiting for a home [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Definitely get rid of the Duncan Designed P/U's.

Comment

It's cool that most say the electronics is the major upgrade. I have a long list of pickups, and good CTS pots and orange drop caps for the electronics upgrades. I plan on giving the stock pickups a shot first.

If I'm looking for a good USA model, are there any models to avoid? I want:

Ebony fretboard
                  Real MOP sharkfins
                  Classic headstock - no reverse
                  Dual Humbuckers
                  Strat style body
                  Neck through body
                  Trem

I think I'm describing an SL2H, but are there certain things to look out for? Pre Fender? what is San Dimas vs. Ontario vs (I don't know how many other places these were made - I've seen Charvels from Texas).

Thanks for the suggestions - I can't wait to get my hands on my guitar!

Comment

I would buy a more current SL2H or SL2H Mahogany, the latter is what I would choose. Jack.

Comment

The SL2H is exactly what you're describing. I don't think there's anything to look out for with them. The Pre-fender ones are not any better or worse than the current ones IMO. Some people seem to think that the guitars made in San Dimas are somehow better than those made in Ontario. I personally think that is a load of crap, and think my Ontario Jackson is just as good as any other guitar.

Comment

Yeah, I don't get the Ontario vs San Dimas stuff. Both are so close to each other, it's not like Gibson moving from Michigan to Tennessee.

Are USA Jacksons made in Ontario still, or have they moved again because of Fender?

Comment

They are made in the factory as Fenders now. Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            They are made in the factory as Fenders now. Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHA???????

*AS* Fenders??? Don't think so, Jack-man! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

They are made at the Fender facility in Corona, CA but they are still Jacksons.
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ah you know what I meaaaaaaaaaaant [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X