DK2FS vs. DKMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2FS vs. DKMG

Hi, I'm new to the board and need some help. I haven't shopped for a guitar or even played much since college (10 years), so I have no idea what I'm doing but want a decent mid-range Jackson. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I'd narrowed it down to a DK2 or DKMG, but just noticed the DK2FS with the SD Firestorm boost switch & gain control. I'm assuming its equivalent to the EMG TurboCharger on the DKMG? Is it worth paying a bit more for? Other stupid questions:

- Pickups are Duncan Designed, H/S/S, vs. EMG HZs H/H on the DKMG. Important pros/cons I should be aware of?

- If I replace them with real Seymour Duncans later, will the boost switch/gain control be useless?

- Am I correct that the DK2FS and DKMG are otherwise similar in quality and hardware?

Thanks very much.

Re: DK2FS vs. DKMG

The electronics will still be useful no matter what pickups you choose. Welcome to the forum! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

The pickup difference is the biggest thing. Other than that, the DK2FS has sharkfins and a normal headstock while the DKMG has the (imo) ugly piranha inlays but cool reverse headstock. The only difference between the SD Firestorm and EMG Turbocharger is that FS is 0-25db with a toggle switch and the EMG is 0-20db with a push-pull. You should have no problem using either circuit with any other pickups if you want to upgrade.

You also might consider the DX10DFS if you can stand the unbound neck, it should be even cheaper and be pretty much the same quality. I'm actually thinking about getting one myself.

Comment

Welcome to the JCF! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Both guitars would be a great choice. They each have the JT580 trem. Chrome on the DK2 and Black on the DKMG respectively. The DK2 has the typical "flat top" Dinky body, while the DKMG is an archtop. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'm not a big fan of the Duncan Designed pups, though my experience with them are limited to a cousin's Samick. They sound very dull and lifeless to me, but the Samick could be most of the problem. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Unfortunately, I've never heard any of the HZ's that are in the DKMG, so I can't say anything about them. You can always change the pups though, so just go with whichever configuration that you like best, HSS or HH.

Good luck,
        Chris
        Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

You could also consider the DK2S... DK2 with a Sustainer. Welcome to the forum [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for all the help! Since I like the DK2 headstock and sharkfins, I'm leaning towards the DK2FS...

My only remaining concern is the pickup configuration. I notice that most of the ones I've looked at lately are H/H instead of the H/S/S as on the DK2. Again, keeping in mind that I haven't touched a guitar in 10 years, what are the pros and cons of each config?

Thanks again for walking me through this...

Comment

DK2FS = DK2 with a boost system
              DK2S = DK2 with Sustainer
              Before you make up your mind on the Dk2FS, I just want to say that the Sustainer (infinite sustain and controllable harmonics) is really fun to play with, so unless you must have the boost system on the DK2FS, that's one alternative to consider. Same headstock, same fins, everything, except the electronics.

As for the config: I personally think H/S/S is the more versatile configuration, because you can get single coil and humbucking tones out of the same guitar. With H/H, you can also get single coil tones by tapping or splitting the coils of the humbuckers, but I have never heard a split/tapped humbuckers that really sounds like a single coil (they can sound very good in their own right... they just don't sound like real single coils)

Plus with H/S/S, you can always install a humless single coil, or a stacked humbucker, in the neck position to suit your tastes. My personal favorite config is H/S/S with a low output stacked humbucker (DiMarzio HS-3 or YJM) in the neck position, a traditional single in the middle, and a high output humbucker in the bridge (Duncan JB or DiMarzio Super Distortion). With a 5 way switch, this config covers all the tonal variations one would ever need.

But if you are looking for a particular type of tone for particular genres, let us know too, otherwise we can only give you general suggestions that may or may not help.

Glad you decided to take up guitar again after 10 years though [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I used to play mostly metal & punk, from age 15 until right after college when my last guitar was stolen. Now that I'm older and my tastes have mellowed and expanded, I guess I'm looking more for the versatility you mentioned. I'd like to be able to play the hard & fast stuff from my youth AND learn new things as well, so it sounds like the DK2 setup will work fine for me, especially with all the options for upgrading the pups.

The advice I've gotten here has definitely helped. I'm getting quotes on a DK2FS right now, and will likely order today or tomorrow. Thanks again everybody...I can't wait to wrap my hands around a new Jackson!

PS Leo: I'm going to check out the DK2S before I order anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Hello everyone!I want to express my opinion concerning Jackson DKMG guitar.I bought it in music123 online store.Since that time I've got permanent problems.The first thing is the electronics,to be more exact the volume 500Kohm pot,which turned out to be just broken.But it was half the trouble.In addition to that the floyd rose turned out to be untuneable.I stripped it,check all the constituents.The problem was that the studs were loose.I replaced them with Shaller ones,and the bridge began functioning normally.But despite all that I think much of my guitar
                  [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks, but I went with the DK2FS. Beautiful guitar, but either the setup was weak or it got knocked around during shipping. Keeping it in tune isn't a problem, but its got a nasty fret buzz (open E and fretted A) reminiscent of my first guitar that cost 1/3 as much (Peavey cheapo POS).

I'm reading the "fret buzz" thread in Tech forum now, and hopefully it won't be hard to fix...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Plus with H/S/S, you can always install a humless single coil, or a stacked humbucker, in the neck position to suit your tastes. My personal favorite config is H/S/S with a low output stacked humbucker (DiMarzio HS-3 or YJM) in the neck position, a traditional single in the middle, and a high output humbucker in the bridge (Duncan JB or DiMarzio Super Distortion). With a 5 way switch, this config covers all the tonal variations one would ever need.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got the same configuration. I agree it's the most versatile. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

But anyway,Jackson rrules!!!!!!!!

Comment

I bought a DK2 - still waiting for it to be delivered. I'm hoping it won't be banged up - it shipped without a case.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I bought a DK2 - still waiting for it to be delivered. I'm hoping it won't be banged up - it shipped without a case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well good luck. Even in a case, I was surprised mine wasn't destroyed (case wrapped in a single tight-fitting Charvel box with but a thin strip of packing material on top and bottom). I was horrified, but found no visible damage.

And what a beautiful instrument. Maybe its just me, but the body style/headstock combo is visually captivating. Sometimes I just sit and stare at it... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] And the best part? I pick this thing up and am shocked at how good I sound; since I haven't played in 10 years, its not me...so it must be the guitar. Its just hands-down better than anything I've ever played. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice choice Bro! I went for the DKMGT personally only because I didnt want the floyd tremolo and I love the carved top. I think the Firestorm Booster is actually better than the EMG turbocharger as it seems to be much quieter.
                              Welcome aboard and make sure you post some pics soon!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X