Worried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried

Hi everyone! I just receive my new SLSMG!! But I'm a little worried because I asked Scott to change de EMG-HZ to EMG 81 (b) 85 (n) and when I plug the guitar today for the first time I felt that the sound was very weak, not heavy fat like I expected. I also have a KE2 with a a Jazz-TB combination and even that pups where heavier anda fatter than the EMGs. Anyone has any idea or opinion?

Thanks

Re: Worried

Just a suggestion, but if the EMGs are the newer quick-connect types, you can unplug the pickups, and you might want to try swapping the EMG-81 and EMG-85 around. Just try it for the sake of experimentation. It takes less than five minutes to swap over. You might also be pleasantly surprised, and not everybody likes the "quintessential Zakk combination"... I know I don't.

Comment

Maybe the battery is low?
      Also SLSMG is very light guitar when I had mine it sounded like crap with the stock pickups and other guitars with Duncan pickups sounded much thicker... I thought it has to do with the body weight..
      IMO.

Comment

I agree the 85 is much better in the bridge.It is a darker/heavier sounding pickup and much better for heavy rhythm playing than the 81.The 81 to me sounds perfect in the neck it is a lot brighter and solos do not sound as muddy.

Both of my guitars that have EMGs in them are set up that way.They are both mahogany , maple cap , string thrus and 24 frets.
        Mike
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

The reason why I asked Scott to change the pups was that I wantes more gain, and also a more thicker fat sounding with lots of sustain but when I plug the guitar today it sounded with more gain, but very very bright, without any definition and without any sustain, then I try my KE2 with the Jazz and TB combination and that sound with a little less gain, but with more definition and certainly with more sustain. Really I don't know, maybe I choose the wrong pups?

Comment

No, you didn't choose the wrong pickups. You just requested the popular Zakk combo. I prefer the reverse-Zakk combo. Swap them around.

The EMG-81 is bright with attack, geared towards the high-mids. The EMG-85 is warmer and thicker and has unreal string definition, geared towards the crushing low-mids. It's up to you really...

I'm sure the rest of the "EMG-85 is a better bridge pickup than the EMG-81" group will come along shortly. We've successfully converted many JCFers to the "Reverse Zakk" combo...

Comment

if the sound is "very weak", then maybe the pickups weren't properly installed? The 81 may not be to your liking, but I can't imagine that you'd find it very weak.

Have you checked the battery? Possibly it's not properly connected, maybe it came slightly loose in transit?

Also, check that the guitar cord is fully inserted. I remember Toejam complaining about his EMG equipped guitar sounding weak when he first got it, until he discovered that - although the cord felt it was properly inserted at the time - it still had a bit further to go in. Push the cord all the way in and VOILA! All fixed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah maybe, I certainly try to swap the pickups, but the thing that is bothering me is the fact that
                1) in the trip from USA to Chile a pot came off
                2) if you here the clips, or if you ask wht would be the sounding of the 81 they said taht is has more bite but with many sustain, mine certainly has bite (too much I think) but not any sustain

Comment

VitaminG: the cord? sry for my ingonrance but I don't know what is that.

Comment

Don't take this wrong..but what amp are you using?? That has a lot to do with tone also...

Comment

The crap part is that I shipped this from me to his friend in Florida, then his friend in Florida shipped it to Chili.
                      And during all that ruckus, the pot somehow came loose [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                      I think customs had their way with this at some point. its pretty hard for a pot to come loose/off.
                      I emailed you the EMG schematic so you can see that it was wired correctly.
                      Of course I rested it out before I packed it and all was well.
                      This thing really ticks me off esp. since you cant just bring it by for me to look at and take care of for you.
                      Be sure to check the battery that its securely in place. Also check the Capacitor to make sure its not loose or touching any other wires. and make sure there are no other wires touching each other.
                      Too many possibilities that could happen in transit.
                      Keep me posted bro.
                      Thanks!

Comment

Angst , by the cord he means the cable / telegrafiar .Quick spanish to english translation
                        Mike
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

guitarsjb: yeah maybe is the amp, but if the problem is the amp why my KE2 sounds fine?

Comment

What pickups do you have in your KE2? Duncans?

Comment

Toru, check his first post. It's a TB/Jazz combo in the KE2.
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X