Dinky Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinky Identification

I was wondering if anyone might be able to assist me in dating/identifying a Jackson guitar?

The headstock says Jackson Professional and the truss rod cover says Dinky RVS ...

The # on the bolt on plate is 500679

The Jackson website has an archive of custom work the fourth image on the top row seems to be a close match minus the truss rod cover. Also the pickups seem to be a bit different that I have seen on other dinky's aside from the custom above.

I have looked through the catalog collection featured on the jackson museum website and see nothing like this one.

I'm totally stumped and quite curious.

Below is an image ...

If you might be able to help I would greatly appreciate it - thanks.

I would like to find out what model it is, the year it was made and approximate value new/used. Is it a custom, a fake, or what?

Best regards,

Brian

PS - It plays & sounds totally awesome.

Re: Dinky Identification

Made in Japan. Prolly worth 200-300. The model, it does say Dinky RVS?

Judging by the JT580LP trem, it's probably relatively recent production, say the last 7 years or so?
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Yes the truss rod cover says dinky rvs ...

I was told it was early 90's, but I dont know thats what Im trying to find out. I have looked at jackson catalogs from since late 80's till 2000 and seen nothing like this one with the reversed head & reversed inlays having this pickup configuration.

Like I said I saw one in the jackson custom archive that looked very similar - had same pickups and the reversed head + inlays + same headstock graphics/text.

I sure hope its not a 2-300 guitar as I paid about double that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I might have to return it if I got taken that badly!

Comment

It's just a Dinky Reverse. I had a Candy Apple Green one that had the same Dinky RVS on the truss rod cover, same JT580LP trem with angled baseplate... mid '90s model.
        I also had a metallic purple one whose truss rod cover said Dinky Rev (and it was a '94 going by the JT580LP that had a square baseplate... those baseplates were only made in '94 on that trem). Yours is a mid '90s model.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yes - that much I know [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] its a dinky reverse. Looking for something more than "probably" ... I too have seen other dinkys with the RVS truss rod cover, but they didnt have the reversed inlays - most had dots and none had this pickup config.

Fired off an email to jackson / fender, dont expect a solid answer from them - they dont seem to know much about the jackson line - LOL! Id think they could just input the serial into a computer and find out everything about the axe!

Comment

Well, my green one had reverse MOP sharkfins, my purple one had MOP offset dots. Both had two humbuckers and a reverse headstock... it's a standard Dinky Reverse, plain and simple.

Comment

If it was that plain and simple we could all nail down an exact model and year - dont think any of us have done that yet.

I was starting to think it was a DR3, but the bill lawerence brige pickup is puzzling. Oh well - it sounds nice, just wish I knew more about it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

No, not a DR3. It's just called a Dinky Reverse (that's what they called them before they started making the number designations). True, a DR3 is also a Dinky Reverse, but it's got a three-way toggle switch instead of a blade switch. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

BTW, that's not a real Bill Lawrence pickup in there. Jacksons did use those pickups in various older guitars, but they're imitations and not made by the real BL.

Comment

Can't wait for the MOAIP for stuff like this. *Ducks before Tekky throws something blunt at me* [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It's harder to nail down an exact year with the import stuff, but that doesn't change what they are worth. They aren't worth what the US models are with the Exception of the very first "Professionals". (90 - 92 or so). I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what these guys are telling you though, they know their **** when it comes Jacksons. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm not dismissing anything - taking it all in. All I know is what Ive been told - by the seller and by these guys. Was just adding another guitar to my collection having never owned a jackson.

I guess I should have done my research prior to making the purchase - hind sight is always 20/20 - oh well it looks really nice and sounds great though it does suck that I paid 2x what it was worth.

Be nice if manufacturers had a place where you could plug in serials and find out everything there is to know about a particular guitar. Guess that makes way too much sense.

Comment

The Jackson USA shop does keep logs and you can identify a guitar by its serial #. Over in Japan they just have a big box full of serial plates. When a giutar is done they just close their eyes, draw one outa the box, and slap it on there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That is a laugher, but it still has the "Jackson" name on it and if they didnt manage/over see the operation better than that whats that say about Jackson?

This was my first J and I think I want another so Im off to fleabay to get another [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

quote jacktheshredder: "if they didnt manage/over see the operation better than that whats that say about Jackson?"

Well I'll tell you what that says about Jackson: They build a guitar that is popular enough to justify overseas mfg. plants which can produce large quantities of production instruments at an affordable cost, and at the same time support a USA custom shop to take care of the folks with a little more $ to spend.
                              Even if you did spend a little more than market value for that old Dinky Reverse, go out and try to find a "new" guitar that dispalys the quality and playability of that instrument for the same price. You won't do it bro!
                              And yeah, get on over to the bay and get 'em while they're cheap! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X