?'s about the JDR-94...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?'s about the JDR-94...

Hey guys, I have a few questions about my Jackson JDR-94 Dinky that I have always wanted to know:

1. Is the trem a JT-500 or a JT-580LP???
    2. If the trem is a JT-500, will an OFR or Schaller directly fit???
    3. Is it true that the Performer PS-4 was a "new" JDR-94, and that the JDR-94 is better than a PS-4???
    4. Is the Schaller basically the same as an OFR???
    5. What are "knife edges" on a trem???
    6. What wood is used on the JDR-94, alder or poplar??? My guess is alder, even though I can't tell the difference.
    7. Is the trem recessed or non-recessed, and how can I tell??? What are the differences between recessed and non-recessed as far as going crazy witht the trem???
    8. What is the scale length of the neck?
    9. What is the width of the nut???
    10. Why did Jackson stop producing the JDR-94 series, and the PS-4 also???

Thanks guys!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: ?\'s about the JDR-94...

1. 500
    2. Yes
    3. basically yes
    4. basically, yes... as in "they're both free-floating trems" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    5. I think it has to do with the trem posts.. don't quote me on that one though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    6. No idea. AFAIR, they used bodies of whatever wood was near, so some may be alder and some may be poplar.
    7. Recessed, I think. If I've understood the concept right, the non-recessed ones are the kind of trem that sits upon the body and doesn't necessarily need huge-ass routing. May very well be wrong here, though.
    8. 25.5"
    9. 1 11/16", I think. Feels pretty much like my other guitars which are all 1 11/16".
    10. No idea.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      2. Yes
      4. basically, yes... as in "they're both free-floating trems" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      5. I think it has to do with the trem posts.. don't quote me on that one though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      6. No idea. AFAIR, they used bodies of whatever wood was near, so some may be alder and some may be poplar.
      10. No idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

2. From what I've heard/read, the Schaller JT-590 (if I'm not mistaken) trem is more of a retrofit with the JT-500 than the OFR (Original Floyd Rose)...
      4. I have heard that the Schaller Floyd (JT-590)
      is "somewhat" different than the OFR even though they are essentially the same trem. Why are Schaller's "Licensed"???
      5. ??? Can you replace knife-edges or do you have to replace the "whole" trem unit???
      6. Does anybody know FOR SURE???
      10. Does anybody know why Jackson stopped producing the JDR-94/PS-4 series???

Oh yeah, why do the JT-500's look similar/have similar features to the Schallers??? And for a trem replacement, would I get a Schaller or a OFR to replace the JT-500 trem, meaning, which would require NO/HARDLY ANY routing or wood work, etc...?????? Another question, would I get the JT-590 trem that I normally see on eGay (j/k [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), the trem that StewMac sells, or the OFR??? <--What's the difference between the two (StewMac Schaller and the JT-590)???

Thanks for answering some of my questions, Baum! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Jeez, do I ASK A LOT of ???'s!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        2. Yes
        10. No idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

2. From what I've heard/read, the Schaller JT-590 (if I'm not mistaken) trem is more of a retrofit with the JT-500 than the OFR (Original Floyd Rose)...
        4. I have heard that the Schaller Floyd (JT-590)
        is "somewhat" different than the OFR even though they are essentially the same trem. Why are Schaller's "Licensed"???
        5. ??? Can you replace knife-edges or do you have to replace the "whole" trem unit???
        6. Does anybody know FOR SURE???
        10. Does anybody know why Jackson stopped producing the JDR-94/PS-4 series???

Oh yeah, why do the JT-500's look similar/have similar features to the Schallers??? And for a trem replacement, would I get a Schaller or a OFR to replace the JT-500 trem, meaning, which would require NO/HARDLY ANY routing or wood work, etc...?????? Another question, would I get the JT-590 trem that I normally see on eGay (j/k [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), the trem that StewMac sells, or the OFR??? <--What's the difference between the two (StewMac Schaller and the JT-590)???

Thanks for answering some of my questions, Baum! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Jeez, do I ASK A LOT of ???'s!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

2. The JT-500 is a copy of the Schaller trem I have a PS-2 (JT-500) and I really like the trem, but a Schaller would be the better choice to retrofit.

4. Schaller's are "Licensed" because it is not an "Original Floyd Rose" Even though they are both made by Schaller, in Germany.

5. Knife Edges cannot be replaced, the base of the unit would have to be replaced. They can be filed/reshaped sometimes.

6. According to my 1994-1995 Jackson Catalogue, the JDR-94 is made of Basswood. According to my 1997 Jackson Catalogue, the PS-4 is made of Alder. Basswood is better in my opinion.

10. The JDR-94 was stopped after 1994 (Hence the moniker) and I can only assume that the PS-4 was abandoned along with the whole Performer Line shortly after the JS line started as it would be too much overlap. And of course, God forbid they keep a good entry level guitar in the line... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

5. Knife Edges cannot be replaced, the base of the unit would have to be replaced. They can be filed/reshaped sometimes.

6. According to my 1994-1995 Jackson Catalogue, the JDR-94 is made of Basswood. According to my 1997 Jackson Catalogue, the PS-4 is made of Alder. Basswood is better in my opinion.

10. The JDR-94 was stopped after 1994 (Hence the moniker) and I can only assume that the PS-4 was abandoned along with the whole Performer Line shortly after the JS line started as it would be too much overlap. And of course, God forbid they keep a good entry level guitar in the line... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

5. Can you tell me "where" the knife edges are, and how I can tell what they look like??? Just in case my knife-edges are worn out, how much does it cost to replace the "base" of a trem???

6. Why do you believe that basswood is better, as A LOT of people knock it off as some crappy wood??? What's the difference between alder and basswood as far as sounds and finishes, and why is basswood so heavy???

Can you send me a scan of the catalogue in which it talks about the Jackson JDR-94 Dinky Reverse???

When would I know when it would be a good time to retro-fit the trem for a better one, because so far, I like the JT-500??? Also, which is better, the JT-580LP or the JT-500??? Is the OFR a direct retro-fit with the JT-500 like it is with the JT-580LP??? What do "knife edges" exactly do, and what are they for??? Why doesn't Jackson make H/S/H guitars??? What string gauge would work the best with the JT-500 trem, as I've heard that the only gauge that is stable with the 500 is the 9-42 gauge, and I really want to use 10-46's???

Comment

I own two Jacksons with the 580LP and a JDR94 with the 500, and so far I like the JT500 better. The 580 shows wear in no time, and I can't be bothered to buy replacement parts for it that are going to let me down in another year as well... and I don't have the money to buy an OFR, so my DK2 is retired for an indefinite amount of time. :/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              5. Can you tell me "where" the knife edges are, and how I can tell what they look like???

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                5. Can you tell me "where" the knife edges are, and how I can tell what they look like???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So are the knife edges the bridge pivot points, as it sure looks like they are??? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5. Can you tell me "where" the knife edges are, and how I can tell what they look like??? Just in case my knife-edges are worn out, how much does it cost to replace the "base" of a trem???

6. Why do you believe that basswood is better, as A LOT of people knock it off as some crappy wood??? What's the difference between alder and basswood as far as sounds and finishes, and why is basswood so heavy???

Can you send me a scan of the catalogue in which it talks about the Jackson JDR-94 Dinky Reverse???

When would I know when it would be a good time to retro-fit the trem for a better one, because so far, I like the JT-500??? Also, which is better, the JT-580LP or the JT-500??? Is the OFR a direct retro-fit with the JT-500 like it is with the JT-580LP??? What do "knife edges" exactly do, and what are they for??? Why doesn't Jackson make H/S/H guitars??? What string gauge would work the best with the JT-500 trem, as I've heard that the only gauge that is stable with the 500 is the 9-42 gauge, and I really want to use 10-46's???

[/ QUOTE ]

To answer #6, have included the Discriptions from Warmoth:
                  "Alder (Alnus rubra):
                  Alder is used extensively for bodies because of its lighter weight (about four pounds for a Strat® body) and its full sound. It's closed grain makes this wood easy to finish. Alder's natural color is a light tan with little or no distinct grain lines. Alder has been the mainstay for Fender bodies for many years. It looks good with a sunburst or a solid color finish. Because of its fine characteristics and lower price, Alder is our most popular wood and it grows all around us here in Washington State."

"Basswood (Tilia americana):
                  This is a lighter weight wood normally producing Strat® bodies under 4 lbs. The color is white, but often has nasty green mineral streaks in it. This is a closed-grain wood, but it can absorb a lot of finish. This is not a good wood for clear finishes; It is quite soft, and does not take abuse well. Soundwise, Basswood has a nice, warm tone."

I happen to like the tone of basswod as it's pretty easy to figure out what a pickup is going to sound like. I've had trouble finding a good pickup match for Alder. Poplar is actually my favourite as it sounds like mahogany-lite.

Also, you don't have to change your trem. Unless you're Steve Vai whose trem is replaced every few weeks due to use and abuse, you may never wear one out. And 10-46 should work just fine. I've done it...

Cheers. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

PS, I can scan the page for you, pm me with your e-mail address.

Comment

Working...
                  X