KV4 hardware change - chrome to black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV4 hardware change - chrome to black

Here are the (terrible!) pix I took from before and after the hardware swap on my KV4.

I swapped the trem, nut, tuners and knobs... forgot about the jack plate and nut that holds the pickup selector - so I just sprayed them black (good old matt black auto spray) and they came out pretty good! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Before:

After

I've never owned a camera in my life, so I sort of have an excuse for taking rubbish pictures!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

In person, the black hardware looks 10 times better, definitely a huge improvement.

And now I have a load of chrome hardware left over... it's be a shame not to build a Star or something... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    Steve.

Re: KV4 hardware change - chrome to black

hmmm extremly BADASS!! mmmm are those EMGS i see?

Comment

Yup, changed all my guitars over to 81s & 85s... definitely the way to go! Although the other guitarist in my band is a Bare Knuckles pickups endorsee, so I might be swayed that way for the right deal! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

By the way, I just dyed the fretboard on the KV4 too - bit of ebony stain mixed with lemon oil, didn't want to go completely black, just get rid of the light brown appearance. Three coats with a 24 hour gap between each one, and the difference is impressive - looks much better. Just took my time with a fine brush so I didn't mess up the inlays. Definitely worth the time spent on it. Together with the black hardware, the guitar looks much much less "cheap"!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And for a guitar that retailed at £1100, it shouldn't have looked cheap in the first place!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Cheers,
      Steve.

Comment

Very cool! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Do you use the 81 or the 85 in the bridge? If you use the 81 there, you should swap it out for the 85 and put the 81 in the neck... it rules!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have the 81's in the bridge on them all... I've been meaning to swap them round to see how it goes, but I just haven't gotten round to it yet. And they're the wee clip-on style ones, so I've no excuse except pure laziness!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cheers,
          Steve.

Comment

Very cool! The fretboard stain is a great idea that a lot of us were discussing recently! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Let's see some better pics...uh...when your skills improve! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Very nice bro!

I have a trans-red KV4 and I did the black hardware swap too, except mine came with most of the hardware missing, so I only had to remove the jackplate, the toggle switch, and one of the strap buttons.

Maybe I'll post some pics later.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

mine

I still haven't gotten around to changing the switch.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                X