gauge 10 strings on floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gauge 10 strings on floyd?

Hey, you guys probably remember my post about which jackson to buy. I got a KE3 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Yay! I was wondering around this forum and saw a post about how the jt580 tremolo isnt made to handle gauges above 9. I wanted to maybe change the strings to Light Top heavy bottom which is 10-52. Would this work? or will the string slip out alot since the trem isnt made for these sizes? thanks

Re: gauge 10 strings on floyd?

You will probably get faster/more responses if you post this type of wuestion in the correct forum. The Tech Q&A forum is where you want to post it.

As to your question..... I don't know why 10-52's will not work on the JT580 trems..... you may have to adjust it a little and maybe tweak your truss rod but it should be just fine.

Comment

Saying that it won't handle different gauges is ridiculous. The whole time I had my KE3, I had 10-46 gauge strings on it, tuned to standard and D. I had the intention of putting 10-52 on it but never got around to it before selling that guitar. It should be fine.

Comment

I used 10-52's on a JT-6. I figure if the JT-6 can handle em, the JT-580 can.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          wuestion

[/ QUOTE ]

oops..... question [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

that trem should have no problem at all taking whatever string gauge and tuning you desire.

its all about the setup.

whoever posted that statement obviously didn't know how to set up a guitar properly or took it to someone who didn't know how to set up a guitar properly.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

10-52 will work just fine in the JT580, as mentioned before, the trem will need to be setup as well as the neck (truss rod), because of the tension of the heavier guage strings.
              KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
              I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

ah cool thanks. yes, sorry about posting this in wrong forum. Do jackson guitars (all of them, even usa) come setup to be played with gauges 9-42 strings? Like is the intonation and stuff setup for that setting? so that would mean different guages would require setup if i am correct?

Comment

I have 7 guitars with Floyds (real and licensed), and I use 10-46 on all of them... have not had any problems from doing so.

Comment

I used to use 10-46 on my guitar with the JT580LP when I still had it (but down a whole step)
                    The tuning stability that way was better than it was with 9s in standard actually.

Comment

10-46

Regular tuning - 4 springs
                      Dropped down a whole step - 3 springs
                      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

if i were to put lets say 10's, would i have to call jackson and order the correct spring?

Comment

The guitar should come with three springs, as that is the most common setup. You can get springs at any guitar shop. You can set up your guitar with 10s with 2, 3, 4 or all 5 springs for E, Eb or D tuning.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use 10-52's in C# on one of my dr3s and 13-56's in B on the other. I cant remember the spring situation but they seem to hold tune well.

Comment

Never had any problem with 10s on my new or old Kelly....although I did add an extra spring in the back of the trem on my old KE-Pro.

R

PS - congrats on the KE3, fancy joining the KellyCult and sending me some pics and info for the site?

Comment

Working...
                              X