String Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Gauge

i had killer action on my dkmg with the stock strings it came with. after i changed to ernie ball hybrid slinkies, the strings were buzzing like mad after i tuned and all...it makes sense if the stock dkmg strings are thinner than hybrid slinkies (9-46) otherwise something is wrong. so i was wondering if nebody here actually knows the gauge of the stock strings on the dkmg????

Re: String Gauge

The stock ones are 9-42.
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Yeah, if put heavier strings on you may need to adjust your Floyd Rose springs a bit.

Comment

The hybrid slinky has larger gauge E-A-D strings than the stock gauge of 9-42. The heavier strings may require a) adjusting the floyd rose springs so the trem is level again, b) adjusting the truss rod to compensate for the greater pull on the neck, and possibly c) adjusting the height of the floyd.

The new strings are larger in diameter, so if you adjust the trus rod to bring the neck relief to be identical to what you had before, and adjust the floyd rose springs so the trem is level again, you may have to raise the bridge height to compensate for the larger diamter strings. The larger diameter strings would mean the distance between the bottom of the string and the frets is now closer than with your original gauge (again assuming the neck relief and floyd leveling was done to match how they were with the stock strings). Strings closer to frets = greater possibility of buzzing.

Comment

woah. thanks for the detailed info dude. appreciate it

Comment

MD, how many springs would I need for a 10-46 gauge of strings???

Comment

3 springs usually works for both 9-42 and 10-46. For the 10-46, you'll have to tighten the two screws on the spring 'claw' further in. If you end up needing to tighten the claw screws so much that the claw hits the wood, then you'll have to back the screws out and add a 4th spring.

Comment

I always use 10-46, but I tune a whole step down.
                So when I switch from 9-42 I actually have to let the screws out a little. I figure the heavier gauge and lower tuning counter-act each other enough that I don't have to mess with the truss rod much, or at all.
                Still debating at this point whether or not to raise the action any..

Comment

I'm using GHS Boomers @ 10-60 with three springs. As you might expect the set screws are almost all the way in but it still floats my JT580. LOL [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X