Dinky Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinky Question

I have a question about the 'Dinky' body shape.
    And more specifically, about the DK2 body shape.
    Ok, so this is a Dinky right?

And this is the DK2 HRF

Why does the HRF have the scoop on the lower horn?
    None of the other Dinkys I have seen have the scoop.
    Wouldn't that make this a Fusion body?
    I am confused... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Anybody know the answer on this one?

Re: Dinky Question

The DK2 does not have the scoop on the lower horn. It's just the angle at which that HRF picture is taken that makes it look like it has the lower horn scallop.

And I am told that just because a Dinky has a lower horn scallop, it does not a Fusion make. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sure, it's a feature common on Fusions, but other guitars have them too.

Comment

NOP would be correct again! Yup, a lot of the Dinky Pro's had the lower horn scallop too. I've heard that the scallop was to take the "edge" off of playing in the upper registers. Is that true? I couldn't tell ya because I never get up that high. I just now got the basic C, G, and D chords mastered so I don't wander too far from the first three frets.... Although, I am working on the barred A right now....looks like I'll be using some of them other frets before ya know it!! Man this is fun! I love learning the geetar! Hey, how come all them high frets are so close together?? You'd think they could have spaced them out a little better. Or was it to cut down on wood costs? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The high frets are so close together so you can mash your finger on the tiny strings. Meedley meedley meeeee!!! Tiny strings, tiny spaces. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Hey, but if you're cutting down on wood costs, you're surely increasing the metal fretwire costs since you're using MORE! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't know about that scallop doing anything for extra reach, as I've never played a guitar with that kind of scoop. To me, it would make more sense to carve out more of the actual cutaway as a whole itself, much like Steve Vai did with his Green Meanie, rather than just taking a small nick off the top of the horn but keeping the rest of the horn the same shape, like those lower horn scalloped Fusions and the like. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          The DK2 does not have the scoop on the lower horn. It's just the angle at which that HRF picture is taken that makes it look like it has the lower horn scallop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ... This is a pic of mine.
          It definately has the scoop.

But, anyway... so some Dinkys have the scoop and some don't.
          Why do the body shapes vary? You would think that it would be one standard shape per body type.
          That being said, what makes a Fusion body a Fusion?

Comment

Oh, wow, would ya look at that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I retract my statement. I must've not inspected my local DK2 closely enough. Oops. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sorry about that.

Anyways, what I said about the scallop not always equating to a Fusion is correct, I think. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The way to tell a Fusion apart from a Dinky is the different scale length. The Fusion is a "fusion" of the Dinky Strat body style and the Les Paul neck scale.

Comment

Ah, that's right!
              The fusion is a 'short scale', right?
              I actually have a fusion on the way to me now.
              (Should be here Wednesday!) So, I will be able to compare the difference then.

Comment

That would be cool to read your comparison between the 25.5" scale Dinky and the 24.75" scale Fusion (especially when tuned to the same tuning with the same gauge and brand of strings). [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I've owned two Dinky HX models and two Dinky Reverses... all had the scoop.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X