Thnking about an SLA3Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thnking about an SLA3Q

Aside from the "Made in China" part, and I have some really nice Chinese-made guitars, I'm seriously thinking about grabbing one of these. I'm looking at:

Stainless Jumbo Frets
    Direct-mount Duncan Pickups
    Luminlay Side Dots
    Quilted Maple Top
    3-piece neck-through
    Compound Radius Ebony Fretboard
    Full binding on the body, neck, and headstock
    Floyd Rose 1000, which is the OEM version of the Original, and I don't hit the bar a lot anyway

So far, the only downside is that it comes with a gig bag instead of a case, but I have plenty of hardshell cases that'll fit a Soloist.

Can anybody think of a downside I'm missing?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Not really. The Pro Plus is where they're making an effort at good quality. Even that Chinese factory seems to be going out of its way to do things right. But when you get it, do check that the bridge/neck are properly aligned and the 1st or 6th string isn't falling of the fretboard. That has happened before including with guitars from this factory.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
      Not really. The Pro Plus is where they're making an effort at good quality. Even that Chinese factory seems to be going out of its way to do things right. But when you get it, do check that the bridge/neck are properly aligned and the 1st or 6th string isn't falling of the fretboard. That has happened before including with guitars from this factory.

Thanks. There are several, both new and used, on Reverb right now, and that's one of the first things I look for. I can't stand when the high E is practically off the board at about the 15th fret. I see that a lot on Fender Strats.

Comment

I just can't convince myself to pay today's prices for MIC guitars. Since they're still easier to find and IMHO reasonably price I'd rather have a mid-2000's MIJ DX or DK myself. I've been impressed with the Korean made guitars I've played, and every Mexican made Charvel I've owned has been a great guitar. IMHO there's just so many other better made and better priced options out there I can't bring myself to look at anything MIC.

Comment

Well, it came in and frankly, I'm completely impressed! This is a VERY well-made guitar and plays like a dream.

They usually sell for about $1500.00, but I got a brand new one off Reverb for $1159.00. I see used ones going for more than than and there's another new one available at the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
            I just can't convince myself to pay today's prices for MIC guitars. Since they're still easier to find and IMHO reasonably price I'd rather have a mid-2000's MIJ DX or DK myself. I've been impressed with the Korean made guitars I've played, and every Mexican made Charvel I've owned has been a great guitar. IMHO there's just so many other better made and better priced options out there I can't bring myself to look at anything MIC.
            I felt the same way a few years ago. But after buying two parlor acoustic guitars, at different times, off AliExpress, the Chinese have come into their own with guitar making. It's all about the standards maintained by the parent company. This SLA3Q is built as well as anything I've seen, and that includes my SL2H's.

Comment

The thing is how it holds up with time. How seasoned the woods are they use. How the neck will behave in a few years and the fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                Well, it came in and frankly, I'm completely impressed! This is a VERY well-made guitar and plays like a dream.

They usually sell for about $1500.00, but I got a brand new one off Reverb for $1159.00. I see used ones going for more than than and there's another new one available at the same price.
                Congrats! That's great to hear, and for that great price. Now how about some pics!

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post

That's good to hear. I've fondled a few MIC guitars (primarily Gunslingers and cheap Jacksons) and I haven't been impressed. I haven't had my hands on any higher dollar ones yet though.

Comment

Cool! Let's see some pics.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

That's good to hear. I've fondled a few MIC guitars (primarily Gunslingers and cheap Jacksons) and I haven't been impressed. I haven't had my hands on any higher dollar ones yet though.
                      I had a yellow Korean Gunslinger some years back, it was really nice! I sold it off and kinda miss it now. It seems the Chinese ones are easier to find these days, but I'm not too sure on their quality.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

I had a yellow Korean Gunslinger some years back, it was really nice! I sold it off and kinda miss it now. It seems the Chinese ones are easier to find these days, but I'm not too sure on their quality.
                        Everything Made In Korea I've picked up was very nice quality. Even my Sully Conspiracy Series Raven is top notch. I've been looking for a Korean Gunslinger for a friend for a while and they do not show up very often. I've fondled a few Chinese Gunslingers and they're nothing special. By the time you "upgrade" the trem and pickups, and can get past the sloppy neck pocket fit and cheap hardware you're much better off stepping up to Made In Mexico, Korea and/or Japan. I've drifted away from Jackson as I'm not much of a fan of thin wide necks, but I totally dig my MIM Charvel Pro Mods and of course my old MIJ Charvel by Jackson Model, Classic and Contemporary series guitars.

Comment

The worst guitar I ever got, and the only one I had to return was a Korean Agile. The frets weren't seated properly and it had all sorts of cosmetic issues that were beyond acceptable. My other BC Rich and Jackson are fine.

My only experience with Chinese guitars was BC Rich Warlock Bronze Series. Universally detested for some reason, that guitar was perfect, I'm talking Chushin Gakki level.

Comment

If the frets are smooth on those chinese pro jacksons thats a win in my book. Usually when they put stainless steel frets on cheaper guitars they skip on the final sanding and polish so the frets can be very scratchy and then you have to do it yourself or have someone do it. Or you will have scratchy frets for a while before they smooth out IF they smooth out. But thenagain the pro plus series isnt that cheap.
                            Last edited by ed; 05-16-2024, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                              If the frets are smooth on those chinese pro jacksons thats a win in my book. Usually when they put stainless steel frets on cheaper guitars they skip on the final sanding and polish so the frets can be very scratchy and then you have to do it yourself or have someone do it. Or you will have scratchy frets for a while before they smooth out IF they smooth out. But thenagain the pro plus series isnt that cheap.
                              Funny that you should mention that... I'm going to need to polish the frets on the SLA3Q. I was really surprised by this because they're stainless, but it's not a big deal because I should only have to do it once. The neck on this thing is completely amazing. Mega-low action and smooth as silk.

I've had things going on so I've been lazy about doing my usual setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X