Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help I.D. my oddball Jackson Stars Warrior please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help I.D. my oddball Jackson Stars Warrior please!

Hello all, visited this site many many times over the years but never had a real reason to join until now. Glad to finally have some Jacksons back in the arsenal!

Before my questions I would like to state that I have searched here as well as Mechas site. I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the Jackson Stars serials or otherwise help me correctly I.D. my newest addition, a Jackson Stars neck through Warrior! A couple things seem odd and make me question if I haven't ended up with someones semi custom/custom of days past.

The guitar was of course listed as a 90s WR-J2E. I knew this probably wasn't the case when I purchased. As I suspected, on Mechas site it seems this model wasn't available until 04-05ish. To further confuse things mine has an unbound Rosewood fretboard, my understanding is only the early Stars (96-99ish per Mecha) got a couple "downgrades" like Rosewood fretboard and licenced trems. Every neck through Warrior variant seems to have got a bound Ebony fretboard and I know at least in the States the Warrior was gone between 92 and 01ish.

It does indeed have twin EMG 81s loaded per WR-J2E spec. They have what looks like a factory sticker underneath them leading me to believe they were indeed factory installed. My battery is in the control cavity however. The only back shot of another neck through Jackson Stars Warrior I have seen had a dedicated battery box. I understand most older Jacksons had batteries stuffed in the controll cavity regardless of trim level. Maybe true for the Stars as well or mine had Duncan's originally? Wiring is cleaner then most stock jobs but nothing crazy and looks original to my eyes.

The tremolo is not the Schaller as listed in Mechas catalog page for the WR-J2E but rather the Takuiechi TRS 101. Again making me question the age and possibility of a semi custom or retrofit.

The headstock tuners are plain black with no Jackson Stars logo nor any logo to be found if that makes any difference.

Finally, the serial number. It is 6 digits at 010381, if the rules for 6 digit imports applies to the Stars then it is a 1990. I find this doubtful as mine does not have slanted pickups and fretboard. Unless H+H, 25.5 scale and normal fretboard could be custom ordered back then? If import rules don't apply then am I to assume it is a 2001 per serial and Mechas suggestion of circa 2004 for the WR-J2E?

Sorry its a read but I feel like I had a pretty decent understanding of the Stars between what I've found on here and Mechas site but I'm genuinely stumped due to my listed discrepancies. J2 in the model designates 2nd from the top spec following J1 spec. Was there even a J1 spec Warrior available? Thanks for the help and I look forward to learning anything more about these sweet guitars. I will attempt to attach photos but no such luck thus far.
    Last edited by AxionJaxon; 02-15-2024, 12:34 AM.

Im sure its common knowledge around these parts but heres Mechas site where I have got the majority of my info on the WR-J2E model. Including the catalog shots.
    Last edited by AxionJaxon; 02-14-2024, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Never owned or got into the Jackson Stars guitars. They'd come up every once in a while on here back in the day, but not as often as you would think. Don't get me wrong I'd own one if it fell into my lap, but I've never even seen one in the wild in my area.

Comment

It is indeed a sweet axe. The neck profile is amazing! It will need a refret but I suppose that's fairly normal for a 20+ year old guitar with nickel frets.

I'm now leaning towards the WR-138 mode with actives later installed. It was the Warriors return and it is the only Stars Warrior with a bound Rosewood board, licenced trem and soft case. Though my board is unbound. Now knowing that, I believe the first 2 serial digits are in fact the year code. I think I'm a Japan Spirit 2001 Warrior!

Edit: Seems the Japan Spirit Warriors were bolt ons like our WRMG and had piranha inlays. Back to square one as mine is neck through with sharkfins.
        Last edited by AxionJaxon; 02-20-2024, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Hi, did you post pictures of the one you have somewhere and I missed it? Use imgur. I think this is a variant I need to document. There are one or two Jackson Stars catalogs I've yet to properly sort through on that paywalling VintAxe.com place. Though those are from later dates, who knows, your guitar could be in that. Note that the dates I cite on the database are often from catalogs. We can't ever prove a model didn't exist off the book before or later than then, more so for the Japanese domestic models that very few of us have personally had our hands on.

To be clear though your's has
          neck-thru
          no battery box
          emgs that may or may not be stock
          sharkfins on unbound rosewood board
          Takuiechi TRS 101
          Serial implying 2001 build?
          What hardware color?
          Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
          My collection also there!

Comment

Thanks for finding the thread MechaYoshi! I appreciate you looking into things! You are correct on the specs but I can specify a little further.

Dark Metallic Red neck thru Warrior. Neck profile very different then my bolt on 08 MIJ WRXT import. Thinner and faster. I've never handled another neck thru warrior so I cant compare.

Sharkfins are plastic/pearloid.

Serial is 6 digits beginning with 01. (I'm only assuming were supposed to use the first 2 digits for year. Imports with 6 digits used the first digit and started 1990. I doubt mine is 1990 based on scale length and non slanted fretboard)

Tremolo is a TRS 101 stamped with Grover Jackson on the baseplate and Takeuichi Made in Japan on the tone block. Arm threads into the tone block.

EMG 81s have solderless harness and small Okada Int'l Inc sticker on the backs.

My hardware is black with no logo tuners. Trem stamped as noted above.

I will look into imgur as I haven't had luck otherwise through the site. I will be getting some swirl remover and polish in the next couple days and get it ready for its reveal! Note that I have already swapped the EMGs for Blackouts.
            Last edited by AxionJaxon; 02-25-2024, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Hope this works! Created an Imgur just for the guitar.

https://imgur.com/a/uejSIzf
              Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Warriormetal101.

Comment

Photos from today after clean and polish.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Warriormetal101.

Comment

Perfect! Thanks! I’ll check into this more after work today. I forgot to mention that the headstock matching finish is another noteworthy spec. Push come to shove, this might be one of the one offs I had to add. There’s a few of those I’ve found.

Comment

Yeah I forgot to mention the color matched headstock, its a nice touch! Also of note, it does not say Made in Japan on the headstock after Jackson Stars. Seems like some did and some didnt.
                    Last edited by AxionJaxon; 02-27-2024, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Gotta love when research only leads to the very thread we're discussing this in and/or the sale listing I presume you bought it from. For now I have it at the bottom of the Jacksonstars page where the misc is listed. I haven't given up, but I will need to see if I can get that catalog I'm missing for completion's sake.

Comment

You assumed correctly on the sale picture though I paid nowhere near asking price. I figured it would be a long shot given the rarity here stateside and all roads do seem to end here or on your site. Appreciate your time looking into things!

Edit: Mecha, you have my permission if you would like to use a couple of my Imgur photos on your site.
                        Last edited by AxionJaxon; 02-28-2024, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AxionJaxon View Post
                          You assumed correctly on the sale picture though I paid nowhere near asking price. I figured it would be a long shot given the rarity here stateside and all roads do seem to end here or on your site. Appreciate your time looking into things!

Edit: Mecha, you have my permission if you would like to use a couple of my Imgur photos on your site.
                          Hey, I would have since they are prettier, but I didn't want to steal them! Secondly, I wanted to show the Warrior with the supposedly stock EMGs, and your post clean up pics had changed them by then. It's no big deal though, as long as its good enough for someone to cross reference it works. Maybe someone like you will find something else, research, find my site and.. the fun starts again!

Comment

Well I do plan on scooping up any Stars I come across!

Comment

Working...
                            X