NGD - Kelly KE3 Transparent Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Kelly KE3 Transparent Red

I recently picked up this almost mint KE3 for $600 CAD. There’s just a bit of a nick in the clear coat on the tail horn. After cleaning, and setting it up it plays phenomenally! I’ve always wanted this colour. I had bought a trans red DKMG in like 2009 which was my first Jackson and also my first nice guitar. After owning a kelly later on I realized I should have bought a KE3 back then… I’ve got it now! I If only they had put neck binding on these it would be pretty much perfect. Neck thru, ebony board, and matching headstock too would be ideal. But that’s an extra $5000… There’s a pic of the serial plate for Mudlark’s database. I guess this is about 2006 based on black hardware and TB-4 and SH-2N pickups.

The JT580-LP trem is much better than I remember it being. It didn’t come with a trem arm, but I had an extra FR Special arm that fits perfectly and feels really nice and solid. It moves smoothly, but also stays in place. You can even get a bit of flutter which surprised me. The neck shifts a bit on really big pull ups and dive bombs so I’ll try and take the neck off and shim it a bit to get a tighter fit to stop that. I tightened the neck bolts, but I don’t think going tighter will solve it.

One thing I noticed when taking it apart and cleaning it was the counter sinks in the trem plate were too deep so the screws would bottom out on the top of the trem block so the trem plate wasn’t clamped and could wobble. Counter sinking the tapped trem block holes a bit let the screws seat deeper and solved the problem.

And now the important part!

Last edited by gnarzan; 12-18-2023, 09:46 PM.
    2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
    Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
    Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
    Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Oh looks like the image links got broken. I think I fixed it.

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

Congrats!

Originally posted by gnarzan View Post
      If only they had put neck binding on these it would be pretty much perfect.
      There’s a pic of the serial plate for Mudlark’s database. I guess this is about 2006 based on black hardware and TB-4 and SH-2N pickups.
      One thing I noticed when taking it apart and cleaning it...
      With regards to these three quoted passages, refer to my thread (https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...ike-my-old-one) for:

1. Seeing other examples of bound-neck KE3s. I started documenting every one I could find online but stopped after a few years.

2. Identifying the date of the guitar based on the stamps in the neck pocket, stamps on the neck heel, and on the labels on the baseplates of the pickups, especially since you aren't afraid to disassemble the guitar.

Unfortunately Mudlark stopped posting here some time ago.

Comment

looks like my ps6t performer except I don't have shark teeth

Last edited by Nduro; 01-02-2024, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Very nice! Congratulations!!!

Comment

There’s a pic of the serial plate for Mudlark’s database. I guess this is about 2006 based on black hardware and TB-4 and SH-2N pickups.]
            I think the switch to black hardware and real SD pickups was later than 2006. 2007 or later...

Comment

Thanks guys. I’m super stoked!

Priest, I actually came across your thread cause I was wondering if KE3s ever had binding. Thanks for the link. I’d seen photos online of some with binding, but I’ve only seen them for sale near me without binding. All the catalogs are no binding, but it seems like it happens.

Dang sad to hear Mudlark isn’t around. When I take it apart I’ll still update.

The first catalog with black hardware and SDs is 2006: https://downloads.ctfassets.net/4jcp...06-catalog.pdf

I actually still own this catalog. My LGS had just got in some of the JS30s and that was when I first discovered Jackson. From that point on Jacksons were the only guitars I dreamed about and I never looked back. So I’m kinda just hopeful that the manufacture date coincides. XD

The trans green KE2 in that catalog is the dream guitar.

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

Yep 2006-2007! Sweet. Also neck says KE3.

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

Your latest pics don't seem to display properly for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    Your latest pics don't seem to display properly for me.
                    Me either

Comment

Working...
                    X