No announcement yet.

"Cheap" Chinese Jacksons not so cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cheap" Chinese Jacksons not so cheap?

So what, really, is the difference between a MIJ Jackson and a JS series guitar? I have 2 of the JS34Q-DKAM guitars and the build quality seems to me to be exceptional. The necks are straight, frets are well finished without sharp protrusions, level with no buzzing. Nothing that I have encountered NEEDS to be addressed by a pro. I decided to update the trem on one of mine to an ofr just because, not because there's anything wrong with the licensed fr it came with. Sound is mostly subjective and I find nothing lacking in the Jackson pickups so where is the evidence that a MIJ or US Jackson is worth hundreds or thousands more?

Labor costs, attention to detail, quality of components and hardware, elaborate cosmetics, likelihood of flaws and failures, stuff like that. Does that mean a MIJ is objectively 5 times as good/worth as a JS and the US 10 times? Don't know. But the more expensive the guitar the higher the included profit margin. I assume the fretwire of a JS won't last as long as the fretwire of a US, same with pots and switches.

My JS has some sharp frets. The pickup ring screws are too short, the strap button screws are laughably thin, one good bump and it's bye bye. Otherwise it's a fine guitar. My X Series came with frets so corroded and the action at the nut sky high. It's little things like that that make a difference to some folks. I notice these things but don't think they are a deal breaker. You do get what you pay for with guitars (for the most part), sometimes you're lucky and get a guitar that's well put together, others are less lucky and get flawed ones, in every price range, but more likely with affordable guitars than with more expensive ones. There's a point of course where you do get diminishing returns, and guitar manufacturers are having a hard time finding ways to justify continued price increases, opting for silly cosmetics and questionable features like Evertune bridges and the like.

I do think that the X Series, especially the few ones with brand name pickups are the sweet spot when it comes to Jacksons because I do prefer neck-through construction, that's one thing that justifies a higher price in my view. Some of the more affordable Pro models are also good deals, because I'd much rather have an ebony fretboard than all these ugly and cheap woods they keep finding.

Competition is high so these companies should feel some pressure to come up with good products at all price ranges, even though they've all but done away with quality control.

Comment

Thanks for the thorough and well thought out response! Some of your reasoning I had considered, but some would have never occurred to me. I didn't consider profit margins and would never have thought of fret wire longevity. If I ever wear out my frets, I guess that will be a great indicator that it's time to upgrade, like wear indicators on my tires.

I'm really happy with my JS as a first guitar. I got pretty lucky and got one that really seems to have been finished well above its price point. There are no sharp frets, action feels good with no fret buzz, nut height isn't causing any issues. I think it's a good idea to do a bit of investigation and land on a solid but affordable choice like the JS and then, once you have spent some time with it, you'll have a great idea of what to look for when you are ready to upgrade. Reminds me of buying a first home. I only had to live here about a year before I learned that next time I want a walk-in closet in the MBR and a location on a quieter street. Too bad I've lived here 20 years and no longer have a mortgage payment. I'm destined to die in this house.

Comment

I’ve never paid any attention to the JS series because all my favorite Jackson shapes are neck thru. But I own everything from cheap Chinese imports to custom shop. Playability is very subjective, but a fret level + dress and properly filed nut will make even a cheap guitar capable of low action shredding. Sound is also subjective, but, in an electric, is mostly determined by the pickups, which are easy swaps.

tl;dr is that it only costs a few hundred dollars to have a very nice playing and sounding guitar. The higher end guitars do have their benefits (nice soft feeling lacquer or urethane finishes, real mother of pearl inlays, top notch hardware straight from
        the factory, etc), but it’s hard to determine what that’s “worth”.

For me, I tried friends’ Jacksons and Jacksons in shops for years and could never bond with any of them. Even one of the original run MIJ RR24s was just okay for me. I went out on a limb and bought an 85 Rhoads online, and luckily, I love this guitar. It has nothing to do with the build quality or playability though. In all honesty, that MIJ RR24 had the action set absurdly low and never buzzed out. It probably had as good or better playability than my 85 (the jumbo frets vs the small ones on mine also made bends feel way slinkier). The big thing for me? The neck. Every Jackson neck I’ve played, other than this one, has been uncomfortable for me. Too thin, and they always have this flat spot on the back. Apparently, this neck shape that I do find comfortable is the “standard” profile, and only comes on USA Rhoads and Soloists. So, for me, the USA ones are the only ones that feel right because of specs. Not “build quality” or sound.

Comment

Working...
        X