Jackson Soloist HH MOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Soloist HH MOD

Please everyone for some reference, in the picture is a genuine guitar that has not been changed. At first glance, it looks like an HH pickup, but it's actually a Hss pickup. So if I have a HH body guitar like that, can I replace the 2 single coils in the same position as the neck humbucker? Technically, when placing 2 single coils so close together, does it affect Ouput, hum, magnetic resonance ... or not, how can the wiring like Hss 5 way wiring work... Tks .

To be specific, this one is probably an HHH - the middle pickup is a single coil sized humbucker, and I will assume the neck pickup is probably a stacked humbucker.

But to answer the question -
    The 5 way would be wired the same as any other three pickup guitar. Or, in any manner you'd like.

As to the fitting part -
    Pickups and pickup rings have various sizes. So, sure, two singles could fit in the route, or you may need a larger route.
    The biggest concern would be the design of the route; single coils get attached at the end of each coil, whereas a humbucker gets attached inbetween the coils.

Comment

FYI this appears to be a GROVER jackson soloist special custom (https://mechas64castles.net/GroverJa...istSpecial.png) you should note that grover jackson branded instruments are related to but not quite the same as the jacksons we have in the western world. looks like a very nice guitar!

I couldn't find much information about the S-6F pickup in the "middle" position. at first I thought it might be some kind of sustainer but I think it's just a normal rails humbucker in a single coil frame. the neck pickup is the J-200 "single coil" (really a stacked humbucker), and the bridge is the j-95. so piano guy is right, it's really three humbuckers. the j-200 and j-95 are both great sounding and well-regarded pickups and I wouldn't consider swapping them unless you just really don't get along with them. also, see the switching diagram in the picture above (thanks Mechayoshi, would never have been able to find a catalog pic otherwise)

also of interest is that this model was the precursor to the grover jackson sl.i-190 which has a very similar but distinct spec. (https://mechas64castles.net/JacksonE...ics/SLI190.png)

Comment

Originally posted by Long Hong View Post
        So if I have a HH body guitar like that, can I replace the 2 single coils in the same position as the neck humbucker?
        If you're still considering this, please do not butcher this guitar. They're rare (and the only other model I know of with this configuration is the JDM Dinky Axe Custom), and you have an infinite number of other options if you want a HH configuration.

Comment

Working...
        X