Fix damage on WRMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gregc

What was the order of grits of micro mesh you used?
    Did you use any Automotive sandpaper? I used GluBoost on a couple guitars.
    1 of them I started with a wet 1000 and used hardly any pressure. It doesn't take much to get it level and polished.
    I went 1 step finer each time until I used the last micro mesh.
    I ended up using Polishing Compound to get the area looking shiny and consistent
    Some wax and looked good.

Comment

Appreciate this, thanks. I think I just didn't know what I was doing when it came to the sanding! I thought "I know how to sand something" So I obsessed about getting the gluboost part right (which went like a charm) and didn't give enough thought/time to the sanding/polishing process.

I started with a 1200 wet'n'dry paper cut and fixed to a foam block: It's possible I went too hard at that point, and over too wide an area?
      Then I switched to micro mesh pads, starting with 3200 and moving up step by step to 12000 - it very quickly started to get impossibly smooth but stayed looking hazy and scratched. By the time I was using the 12000 it seemed to just be putting a very smooth surface over a hazy mess of fine scratches (though I guess that's not really possible - if there are scratches, there are scratches!).

I think I probably 1) went too hard with the first sanding 2) didn't spend long enough on each stage of micro mesh.

In the end I dug out some t-cut type polish and went at it with that - I suspect it's just filled the scratches with gunk, but it does look pretty much OK now. Certainly I'm calling it 'done' for now. If it really bothers me after a while, I'll maybe have another go at it. Though I guess it would need to be sanded back to the coarser grade and work back from there? - and there might not be enough clear coat left to do that.

Anyway thanks again for all the help and guidance on here, I really appreciate it.

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
      gregc

What was the order of grits of micro mesh you used?
      Did you use any Automotive sandpaper? I used GluBoost on a couple guitars.
      1 of them I started with a wet 1000 and used hardly any pressure. It doesn't take much to get it level and polished.
      I went 1 step finer each time until I used the last micro mesh.
      I ended up using Polishing Compound to get the area looking shiny and consistent
      Some wax and looked good.

Comment

Working...
      X