Jackson DKMG Floyd Rose questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson DKMG Floyd Rose questions

I just purchased a Jackson DKMG used and have a few questions about the Floyd Rose. This is not my first guitar, but it is my first that has a Floyd Rose on it.

I am new to this system and just started on a string change following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CytEg-f-2Ns

I followed along, however I ran into an issue with the entire bridge moving up/down a bit too easily. Checking closer I am seeing the pegs on the body with the adjusting allen screws to adjust the overall height are not solidly in the body and push in or out quite easily by hand.

Here are a few photos of the area in question:

My question is are those pegs supposed to be easily moving up/down, or are they supposed to be anchored to the wood body?
    Edit: Also, what is the name of that part specifically or the proper term?

Also which style or model is this bridge?

Last edited by zixlegs45; 10-19-2022, 02:44 PM.

It is a JT-580LP trem. The anchors are usually a quite tight fit and pain in the ass to take out if you need to take them out.
    Doesnt really matter if they are loose if they dont move while the strings are on.

i just usually put something around the anchors and then jam them in. Or you could use a small dab of super glue on the side.

Comment

Well. it will lift when you use the the whammy. You could put a piece of tooth pick in each POST BUSHING hole. I'd use a little wood glue myself. These are just my opinions.
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
        Well. it will lift when you use the the whammy. You could put a piece of tooth pick in each POST BUSHING hole. I'd use a little wood glue myself. These are just my opinions.
        This. Those posts inserts are not supposed to move. They are a tight pressed fit. If they move you're going to have tuning issues. They need to be snug and not move.

Comment

I'd use wood glue. The moisture in the glue should swell the wood making a tighter fit.

Comment

I fixed a washburn by using titbond ii wood glue just glue them back in it worked perfect been 2 years no issue, there is another solution find a wood dowel rod next size above the hole drill out the holes in the guitar body glue the dowel in but before glueing it in put some very tiny holes just barely into the side of the dowel, glue will fill those holes a second help to hold the dowels in. Then drill out the dowel to fit the anchor (part where the stud screws in) If you want you could place wood glue in the newly drilled hole in the dowel. Good wood glue is very strong

Comment

That JT580LP won’t last you for the long run. They’re made out of inferior materials and will go bad over time.

A number of us here, including me, have replaced our JT580LP’s with original Floyd Rose trems. One of the challenges of retrofitting an OFR is that the studs on the OFR are larger, requiring a lot of elbow grease and care to get the larger studs in.

Other than just wear and tear, it could be that the person who owned this guitar prior to you had retrofitted an OFR, and just swapped the old Jackson trem back in before selling it to you. Thus the loose studs.

Bright side is that if you ever decide to get an OFR for this guitar, it’ll be that much easier for you to put the studs in. It’s almost like it’s asking for it…

Comment

If needing to buy a new trem, I would probably go with one of the 'other' models. But if you have a working 580LP, there is no reason to get rid of it. They are good trems, especially the ones made by Takeuchi.

Comment

Working...
                X