1988 Charvel Model 4 Lava Crackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Charvel Model 4 Lava Crackle

I have had this model 4 since the early 90's and am thinking of putting it up for grabs as I have recently run into some family stuff that needs my attention. I obtained it from the original owner. Thought I would share pics here and get everyone's thoughts before I stick it up on Reverb or Fleabay. It is 100% original with the floating Floyd Rose 2 with bar (currently blocked) and in near mint condition. I already have a price in mind. It has the original case with typical broken latch. Anyone love these guitars as much as me? I wish it was Rainbow Crackle or anything but lava however I knew it played fantastic and had to have it.

I hate decisions like this but alas I must make a tough one. Still plenty left in my collection but this one has to be made. If it was any other crackle other than lava I would never part ways with it. Anyhow enjoy the pics.

Real world if it were mine I'd list for a grand, and figure a 800 buck or so offer is gonna come pretty quick. I have a cobalt blue Model 4, and I figure in todays market it's a 700 buck guitar. Yours is a rarer color, and they do get a premium for it.

Comment

I think Charvel calls it fire crackle I think there might have been 2 or 3 different color and one multi colored crackle. I have an 88 or 89 predator almost identical to yours accept 2 pickups 1 hum 1 single and the where the neck on mine is bolted on is different than other models and ive seen one with a neck thru.

Comment

What they call it now is anybody's guess. But back then, I think it was lava crackle.

*Worth noting - this is one of the black top crackles. There are also colored top crackles. Could that be the difference in names? A red on red crackle vs a black on red crackle.
        Last edited by pianoguyy; 11-20-2022, 12:00 PM.

Comment

That's just gorgeous (to me)! I really, really need to learn how to do this type of finish.
          JS20s bass (black)
          JS30RR guitar (metallic blue)
          RR24 guitar (Maul Red Crackle)

......and a lot more.

Guitar amp - Crate G-60 "mini-stack" with 2 12" Celestions
          Bass amp - Ashdown Engineering "Perfect 10" mini rig

Comment

Originally posted by RatDog8o8 View Post
            That's just gorgeous (to me)! I really, really need to learn how to do this type of finish.

Each crackle is "one of a kind".
            It is a special paint. Choose your base colors. Add the crackle paint on top. It will work its magic.

Comment

Still have it for sale?

Comment

Sadly, I sold it quite a while ago. But at least it managed to help me pay the bills. One day I will have another. For what it’s worth. I also had a BC Rich in neon green crackle and had to sell it as well.

Comment

Working...
                X