Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all...MIM concerns

Posted in wrong topic area...sorry
    Last edited by orion681; 02-23-2022, 03:57 PM.

First and foremost - the age of free money is over. People are going back to work. Rent is due. Student loans are due. 100% unemployment plus $600 is over. The cash payouts are over. People don't have time for new hobbies.
    Gas is $4 and only going higher. Food prices are up, if you can find any. Prices of other necessities are up, if you can find any.
    Toilet paper seems to have been normalized, scratchy as hell, but at least it is available. Clorox seems to be back in supply.

Used gear prices are falling. Still above 'the norm', but way off of their highs, and taking longer to sell.

But, to answer the question:
    Having only played specific models and features from the Mexico line...
    I do not have a quality issue with the MiM guitars. I sold a bunch during the CoVid price gouge and would love to buy them back at a third of the price.

However, do not associate them with the Model Series. The Model Series are more like the original Jackson guitars. The modern Charvel guitars are more like the original Charvel guitars.

Comment

Hi pianoguyy. Thanks for your response. I tried to delete my post because it was in the wrong place and I know that irks admins sometimes, but thank you for checking it anyway.

Actually this is excellent advice on all accounts. 80's Charvels were to Jackson as Squire is to Fender.

I have seen stuff sitting parked on Reverb longer and longer over the last few months. Hopefully I can find a local seller and flash some cash at them and hope for the best! If I can't get my hands on a vintage Charvel and the general rule is that the MIM guitars won't fall apart or cut my fingers then I can consider that too.

This is a great forum....and I'm loving that the superstrat has come back into style.

Comment

Unless you want it to say Charvel I would look at the Jackson Professional series I posted in your other thread. When Jackson dropped the Charvel line the Professional series became the import line like Charvel was in the mid to late '80's. Made in the same factory in Japan. Nothing wrong with the new Charvels per say. Just to me those early '90s Jacksons feel more like the Model Series than the current Charvels do.

Comment

Originally posted by orion681 View Post
          80's Charvels were to Jackson as Squire is to Fender.
          In name only.

I actually like to think that the Model Series were the original USA production models.
          Remember, at the time, Jackson were all 'custom shop' guitars. No standard production models.

Think about it - other than the custom aspect, what is the difference between today's Custom Shop and today's USA guitars... nothing. The guitars are exactly the same, but one is a 'standardized list' of specs, where the other allows tweaks.
          What were the differences between the Model Series and the Jackson guitars of the same era - Nothing. Other than the customization allowed on the US guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
            Nothing wrong with the new Charvels per say. Just to me those early '90s Jacksons feel more like the Model Series than the current Charvels do.
            Correct. Because the Model Series were branded Charvel as a way to tell the difference between a USA Jackson and an imported Jackson. Charvel was nothing more than a name, they were nothing like the Charvel Guitars that we had previously known. Jackson could have called them Grover, and they would have been every bit a Jackson guitar... but without the confusion of what a Charvel is and is not.

Comment

I would say the Charvette line were the squire thing for jackson and Charvels were just same quality if not better just made in Japan. Also mim charvels will make your fingers bleed if you dont file down the fret ends after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
                Unless you want it to say Charvel I would look at the Jackson Professional series I posted in your other thread. When Jackson dropped the Charvel line the Professional series became the import line like Charvel was in the mid to late '80's. Made in the same factory in Japan. Nothing wrong with the new Charvels per say. Just to me those early '90s Jacksons feel more like the Model Series than the current Charvels do.
                They never dropped Charvel, they went to the
                toothpaste logo'd and the professional series isn't at all like the older model series. Charvel 2 thru four had the same necks in shape and thickness, even the limited 88, professionals are all over the place with thickness and shape depending on model of professional.
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

They never dropped Charvel, they went to the
                  toothpaste logo'd and the professional series isn't at all like the older model series. Charvel 2 thru four had the same necks in shape and thickness, even the limited 88, professionals are all over the place with thickness and shape depending on model of professional.
                  Split hairs much. Let me clarify my statements. I wasn't saying they dropped the Charvel line when the Model Series ended. I was referring to when the toothpaste logo line was dropped. So Model Series followed by the Classic Series( Toothpaste logo) then replaced by Jackson Professional series. Sure they still sold a Charvel branded guitar but for the purposes of this post they were gone. They were more traditional strat styled with lame headstocks.
                  I said the Professionals feel more like the Model series than the current Charvels and I feel that is correct. If it was taken that I think they are the same that is not what I meant. Basically from his other post he doesn't want to pay what is being asked for the Model Series right now. I suggested the Professional series as an alternative to the current Charvels and why I feel that way.

Here is what I said in the other thread
                  "As far as I know at least from reading on here no real quality issues with the MIM Charvels, but like Pianoguyy said in your other post the Model Series has more in common with Jacksons of the time than the current Charvels. Unless you just want a brand new guitar or one without a pointy headstock, I'd look for a Charvel Classic series (toothpaste logo) mainly because they had Floyd nuts or an early to mid '90's Jackson Professional. The '90s Jackson professionals were made in the same factory as the Charvel Model/ Classic series guitars. They can also be picked up for under $1000. They say Professional on the headstock. I say this because My friend has a Pro-mod and I had a Pro-mod neck on a partscaster for awhile. Even though the thickness was similar the neck profile is different. IMO don't feel like the '80s import Charvels ( Model Series)"

Comment

As someone that's owned enough of the older model series and professionals and professional PRO'S of different models, I'll agree to disagree. Plus try finding a professional in good shape for cheap right now

Anyway, I don't think the pianoguyy has owned two or three of most models of either Charvel older model seriers or professionals series guitars, though I could be wrong, I dought it. The "so called" pro series like DK2's and DKMG and such are not the same to me as a professional series guitar. I've never played a MIM Charvel, the USA stuff didn't feel that great to me at the time, like the so cal and the re-issue point in 05( I do wish I'd of kept my re-issue though)

Again I'm not getting what you're saying because all professionals I've seen are higher than newer stuff, if they're not messed up in some way. Professional DR3 1,800 or fusion from 5-800 +150 shipping from Russia or Japan.
                    I do searches daily on ebay and reverb.
                    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

As someone that's owned enough of the older model series and professionals and professional PRO'S of different models, I'll agree to disagree. Plus try finding a professional in good shape for cheap right now

Anyway, I don't think the pianoguyy has owned two or three of most models of either Charvel older model seriers or professionals series guitars, though I could be wrong, I dought it. The "so called" pro series like DK2's and DKMG and such are not the same to me as a professional series guitar. I've never played a MIM Charvel, the USA stuff didn't feel that great to me at the time, like the so cal and the re-issue point in 05( I do wish I'd of kept my re-issue though)

Again I'm not getting what you're saying because all professionals I've seen are higher than newer stuff, if they're not messed up in some way. Professional DR3 1,800 or fusion from 5-800 +150 shipping from Russia or Japan.
                      I do searches daily on ebay and reverb.
                      I'm not saying they are exactly the same. I meant to put in my last post that I know the necks vary on the Professionals. The Stealth for instance is pretty thin, and the Fusion EX neck I have is thinner than my Fusion Std. but shape wise they feel similar. All feel better (to me) than the Pro-mod neck I had. As for price my quick Ebay search may have steered me wrong on price. It came up with around $1000 give or take a couple hundred. Not cheap but around the same price as a new Charvel DK24. I'm only referring to the original Professional with it written on the headstock.
                      As for the MIM Charvel I've played a couple. The Pro-mod neck I had was thinner than the neck on my Charvel 650XL but the shape is different. I prefer the 650XL. the Pro-mod was almost identical in thickness to my Charvel Fusion Deluxe neck but the feel was not the same. The Deluxe and my Fusion Std feel very similar. I know I've not played as many of all these models as you, and I think we are in not total disagreement as I didn't say the Professionals feel exactly the same as the Model Series. Only that they feel more like them than the MIM Charvels.

Comment

I will say my Pro Mod necks feel nothing like my MIJ Model, Classic and Contemporary necks. Definitely more of a "C" shape on the MIM Pro Mods while the Model, Classic and Contemporary necks are more of the thin "D" necks like the later Japanese necks on the DK2 and DX10D. I've never owned an early 90's Professional series but I have played a few and they had the same feeling necks as the later "Professional" MIJ necks like the DK2, DXMG and DX10D.

Comment

I will say the professional series necks in general change in the mid 90's. I had a Dink professional XL with a 590, later bought one with a 580 and they didn't feel anything alike and it wasn't the 580, the neck was not the same and the same deal as my dinky reverses one had a ash body it was a dr3 but the professional branded dr3 and it didn't feel as good as my profession dinky reverse did. one dr3 580 the other 590 and again the trem had nothing to do with it.
                          But this is a dead horse thread and I by no means have had every guitar ever made. This is just my opinion based on my knowledge of piece's I've owned or own.

Sorry to Dak for over stating my opinion.
                          Last edited by john.w.lawson; 02-28-2022, 03:21 PM.

Comment

And to the OP that stated Charvels are just Jackson, no they are not. Yes Jackson own Charvel and Jackson but the models feel different.

Comment

But this is a dead horse thread and I by no means have had every guitar ever made.

Sorry to Dak for over stating my opinion.
                              Not to beat a dead horse or maybe more confirms it's a dead horse. From a quick search on Ebay it looks like there are currently some Model Series guitars for around the same price as a new DK24 or less depending on the model.
                              charvel model in Guitars | eBay

And no problem. Sometimes you're delivery can be harsh but still informative many times.

Comment

Working...
                              X