Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JS22 and JS32 neck quality (project guitar related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JS22 and JS32 neck quality (project guitar related)

I've always had Japanese-made Jacksons (currently have a DKMG and SLSMG) and just bought a beat up DKMGT body to use as a project. I started looking at necks and it's very hard to find any with standard nuts unless they are from a JS22 or JS32. What are the general opinions of these necks?
    Last edited by turbocharged110; 07-10-2021, 07:53 PM.

Originally posted by turbocharged110 View Post
    I've always had Japanese-made Jacksons (currently have a DKMG and SLSMG) and just bought a beat up DKMGT body to use as a project. I started looking at necks and it's very hard to find any with standard nuts unless they are from a JS22 or JS32. What are the general opinions of these necks?
    Depends on what you're wanting? Any neck can play good if you know how to do setups and or fret level and crowning. I personally don't Know about the newer JS stuff. I did buy one years ago that was pretty nice used for really cheap. They are made in china now, I think? and its going to be a parts guitar anyway and you're not talking about a holy grail guitar.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Mostly curious if I should expect a straight neck, quality material frets, and overall feel. Will probably replace the nut and have the frets leveled if it's a decent piece.

Comment

Mostly curious if I should expect a straight neck, quality material frets, and overall feel. Will probably replace the nut and have the frets leveled if it's a decent piece.
        Well as long as it's not back bowed you should be good to go. Its fairly easy to straighten a neck with the truss rod. I have a tool, But you can use a string. personally having owned a DKMG, it might be an upgrade. Sorry if I'm coming off rude. I have a teenage daughter living with me lol
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

What was wrong with your DKMG to feel a JS22 would be better? No real complaints with mine (bridge could be better but stays in tune) so that’s surprising to hear.

Comment

my drummer bought a new (chinese) js22-7 dinky a few months ago. I was pretty impressed with the neck, especially for the price. frets, fit, and finish were just fine, and the backshape was good too.

Comment

What was wrong with your DKMG to feel a JS22 would be better? No real complaints with mine (bridge could be better but stays in tune) so that’s surprising to hear.
              Nothing, it had the TOM bridge and it was trans blue mint. I was just into other models more, like 90's PRO's and model 6's and 88 limited and USA stuff. Just about everything. I noticed you have an SLSMG, I have a USA SLS with revs sharkies

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                my drummer bought a new (chinese) js22-7 dinky a few months ago. I was pretty impressed with the neck, especially for the price. frets, fit, and finish were just fine, and the backshape was good too.
                Good to know. I'm thinking I'm going to pick up a Kelly KE3 neck and convert it from locking to standard nut. Would prefer to keep the whole guitar as a Japanese guitar even though it is being heavily modified.

Comment

Working...
                X