Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grover Jackson Soloist Standard HH 1993 on Reverb - opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grover Jackson Soloist Standard HH 1993 on Reverb - opinions?

Hi everyone,
    Super-interested in getting my first Japanese Jackson. Currently I only own a couple of Indonesian-made Jacksons and I'm hoping this would be a big step up in terms of quality. What does everyone think?
    https://reverb.com/item/40877401-...rd-hh-1993-pvw
    Last edited by Aswang; 05-29-2021, 10:35 PM.

that is absolutely going to be a step up in quality

But, just to toss this out there -
    that is not just a MIJ, that is made in Japan for sale in Japan

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
      that is absolutely going to be a step up in quality

But, just to toss this out there -
      that is not just a MIJ, that is made in Japan for sale in Japan
      Oh wow - I guess that makes it rarer than its contemporary overseas models then. Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Aswang View Post

Oh wow - I guess that makes it rarer than its contemporary overseas models then. Cool!
        There is a surge of made for japan models on ebay. Yes it would be better quality but personally I would not pay 1700 + tax + probably 200 shipping for for anything that didn't say made in the USA and have ebony and mop everything. Just my opinion.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

There is a surge of made for japan models on ebay. Yes it would be better quality but personally I would not pay 1700 + tax + probably 200 shipping for for anything that didn't say made in the USA and have ebony and mop everything. Just my opinion.
          True, but it's only 1690 in Australian dollars =) About the same price that a Professional series Soloist XL (which the seller states is the closest model in the Professional series at the time) in not as good condition sold for recently. So it seems that the price is fair https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-s-Jackso...ZWEHsSi3PH0MTY

Also, I'm pretty sure it has MOP inlays. And luckily for me, I prefer rosewood over ebony.
          Last edited by Aswang; 05-29-2021, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Everything in Australia is expensive.
            It's that whole island thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aswang View Post

Oh + customs and duties, it will be over the two thousand dollar mark easily.

Quick question How has the binding yellowed and the paint is pearly white? Hardware is spotless
              Last edited by john.w.lawson; 05-29-2021, 11:32 PM.
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

Oh + customs and duties, it will be over the two thousand dollar mark easily.

Quick question How has the binding yellowed and the paint is pearly white? Hardware is spotless
                How much are customs and duties? I've never actually imported a guitar before.

I'm guessing that because the materials are different (ivoroid binding and clear top coat vs PVW body finish and clear top coat), they've aged differently.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                  Everything in Australia is expensive.
                  It's that whole island thing.
                  So I've heard! Although the similarly priced sold Soloist XL I posted a link to was from Pennsylvania, USA.

Comment

so i am guessing you are not located in australia then. I would most definitely ask how much the shipping costs are since if its a private seller shipping can be alot. Also the customs and crap ontop of that.

Comment

It's showing $1650 Canadian for me plus free shipping. So, $1370ish USD. That's not cheap, but I'd call it reasonable if money isn't an issue.

The build quality has the potential to rival a high end guitar. Gotoh tuners, Schaller bridge and pretty good shape.
                      Cool old case and original paper-work. Certainly a model you ain't gonna see often in the Western world.

If it reaches it's potential, I wouldn't regret anyone telling me I overpaid a couple/few hundred since I'd have a pro quality, somewhat unique model that has tons of character.

96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Yes the price says free shipping but in the description it says:

About This Listing

SHIPPING NOT INCLUDED – CONTACT ME FOR A QUOTE BEFORE PURCHASING, THANK YOU

Comment

Missed that.
                          I should note: I wouldn't offer him full price. I'll bet the seller knows guitars aren't flying off the shelves these days.
                          Be friendly and negotiate, you may save a lot. Or, not.
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Same guitar

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30401315418...8AAOSwXU1gsOuu

Comment

If you are not in Australia, I wouldn't touch anything from Australia.

Comment

Working...
                              X