Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 DK2M (Japan) hardware replacement

Hey all!

I have a stock DK2M in fantastic shape that I love. I was able to purchase a bare body and neck for a steal as well and have started getting her all put together. I have a vintage SD JB-J going in and a nice old 59 for the neck position. My questions are....

What German made bridge (Schaller or Floyd) will be a drop in replacement or the JT580LP and will Gotoh tuners be drop in replacement for the Jackson branded, made in Korea originals? Thanks in adavance!

I'll leave the tremolo answer to someone more certain than I am, but SG38 Gotoh's will drop right in.
    Gotoh made the Jackson tuners on my USA's and I replaced them with SG38's when the guitars were about 10 years old.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
      I'll leave the tremolo answer to someone more certain than I am, but SG38 Gotoh's will drop right in.
      Gotoh made the Jackson tuners on my USA's and I replaced them with SG38's when the guitars were about 10 years old.
      Awesome. Thanks!

Comment

As for the trem question:

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ct.htm#jt580lp

See the photo of the Original Floyd Rose in the JT580LP route.

That guitar is going to be a monster with the Maricela JB, sweet old 59, and Original Floyd Rose. Pics and soundclips requested!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          As for the trem question:

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ct.htm#jt580lp

See the photo of the Original Floyd Rose in the JT580LP route.

That guitar is going to be a monster with the Maricela JB, sweet old 59, and Original Floyd Rose. Pics and soundclips requested!
          Thank you so much brother!

I will certainly post picks and clips when all said and done. Do you know if the Schaller Floyd will fit just like the OFR? Also, will I be able to use the current JT580LP posts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EC75KEMT&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post

Thank you so much brother!

I will certainly post picks and clips when all said and done. Do you know if the Schaller Floyd will fit just like the OFR? Also, will I be able to use the current JT580LP posts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EC75KEMT&psc=1
            It will fit, however it will look weird with all that empty space behind the lock bolts.
            The pic of the OFR in the PC3 is mine. Fits perfectly in a JT-580LP route.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post

It will fit, however it will look weird with all that empty space behind the lock bolts.
              The pic of the OFR in the PC3 is mine. Fits perfectly in a JT-580LP route.
              Is the Schaller not basically an exact copy of the OFR??

Comment

Is the Schaller not basically an exact copy of the OFR??
                This Schaller is: https://schaller.info/en/tremolos/364/lockmeister-6

This is not: https://schaller.info/en/tremolos/359/schaller-tremolo
                My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Of course the much more expensive version. Hahahaha. Oh well....I need it. Thanks!

Comment

The Schaller Lockmeister is more expensive because it is an OEM Original Floyd Rose. Solid steel construction throughout.

The "Schaller Tremolo" will be familiar to Jackson JT590 trem owners as it can be considered an OEM version of that. It does not have the same all-steel construction as the OFR/Lockmeister. Look at the images and notice the knife edges are a different color than the rest of the tremolo; it's because the knife edges are little inserts into the baseplate. The Lockmeister image shows the knife edges are the same color as the rest of the tremolo; this is because the knife edge is part of the solid steel baseplate itself.

Comment

The Schaller Lockmeister is more expensive because it is an OEM Original Floyd Rose. Solid steel construction throughout.

The "Schaller Tremolo" will be familiar to Jackson JT590 trem owners as it can be considered an OEM version of that. It does not have the same all-steel construction as the OFR/Lockmeister. Look at the images and notice the knife edges are a different color than the rest of the tremolo; it's because the knife edges are little inserts into the baseplate. The Lockmeister image shows the knife edges are the same color as the rest of the tremolo; this is because the knife edge is part of the solid steel baseplate itself.
                      ... and as we all know, non-steel baseplate == stripped out saddle mounting screw holes

Comment

I hesitated mentioning the presence or absence of reinforced saddle mounting screw holes on the baseplate of the "Schaller Tremolo" only because the webpage does not elaborate on whether those screw holes are reinforced (like later JT590s), or whether the baseplate itself is zinc or solid steel. I would HOPE a zinc baseplate is reinforced, and better yet I would hope the baseplate itself is solid steel, but I would not be surprised if the "Schaller Tremolo" had neither.

If I were to read too deeply into the webpage description of the "Schaller Tremolo", it says:

"Exchangeable knife edges made of hardened steel and cast steel saddles, combined with a solid tremolo block provide perfect sound transmission and an extremely long sustain."

Yeah, that is highly suggestive that the baseplate is zinc, because the "knife edges [are] made of hardened steel". And they'd proudly highlight steel-reinforced intonation screw holes if they existed. So let's just assume worst case scenario and it's not difficult to imagine the Schaller Tremolo has a zinc baseplate with no steel-reinforced intonation screw holes.

For me, I would just go for peace of mind and buy a Lockmeister, Original Floyd Rose, or Gotoh GE1996T, all of which are based around all-steel construction. All steel double-locking trems for the win!
                        Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 03-11-2021, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Hey all!

I have a stock DK2M in fantastic shape that I love. I was able to purchase a bare body and neck for a steal as well and have started getting her all put together. I have a vintage SD JB-J going in and a nice old 59 for the neck position. My questions are....

What German made bridge (Schaller or Floyd) will be a drop in replacement or the JT580LP and will Gotoh tuners be drop in replacement for the Jackson branded, made in Korea originals? Thanks in adavance!
                          i dropped a german made floyd rose original directly into a dk2m bullseye before i sold it on ebay...gave me no problems whatsoever and made the guitar sound better...d.m.
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I hesitated mentioning the presence or absence of reinforced saddle mounting screw holes on the baseplate of the "Schaller Tremolo" only because the webpage does not elaborate on whether those screw holes are reinforced (like later JT590s), or whether the baseplate itself is zinc or solid steel. I would HOPE a zinc baseplate is reinforced, and better yet I would hope the baseplate itself is solid steel, but I would not be surprised if the "Schaller Tremolo" had neither.

If I were to read too deeply into the webpage description of the "Schaller Tremolo", it says:

"Exchangeable knife edges made of hardened steel and cast steel saddles, combined with a solid tremolo block provide perfect sound transmission and an extremely long sustain."

Yeah, that is highly suggestive that the baseplate is zinc, because the "knife edges [are] made of hardened steel". And they'd proudly highlight steel-reinforced intonation screw holes if they existed. So let's just assume worst case scenario and it's not difficult to imagine the Schaller Tremolo has a zinc baseplate with no steel-reinforced intonation screw holes.

For me, I would just go for peace of mind and buy a Lockmeister, Original Floyd Rose, or Gotoh GE1996T, all of which are based around all-steel construction. All steel double-locking trems for the win!
                            The new schaller trem does have the the "steel-reinforced intonation screw holes". I know this because i have bought both schaller trems and just the baseplates new and they have all had them.

I dont hink a company would highlight something that should allready be a standard on a product, The stripping screwholes on the firs iteration schaller trems/JT-590 was a type fault that shouldnt have been there and they made it better and fixed it in later versions and it wouldnt make any sense to go back and make their product worse.

Also i have to add if you are looking on buying a used schaller unit or a JT-590 from 90s then htere is a strong chance you will have to deal with the stripping screwholes or the screwholes are allready stripped. This also applies to all the Jacksons and Charvels that had a JT-590 from the beginning of the 90s.
                            Last edited by ed; 03-12-2021, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                              I dont hink a company would highlight something that should allready be a standard on a product, The stripping screwholes on the firs iteration schaller trems/JT-590 was a type fault that shouldnt have been there and they made it better and fixed it in later versions and it wouldnt make any sense to go back and make their product worse.
                              Companies may not proudly disclaim something that "should" be standard but they are not above obfuscating any cut corners if it can help their bottom line. The fact that Schaller has not phased out their zinc-based tremolo products and wholly adopted steel-based tremolos is a potential exploitation point. If Schaller were in pursuit of the best-ever tremolo, they would only offer the Lockmeister as OEM, with the option to still offer licensed Schaller Tremolo/JT590-style zinc trems to guitar manufacturers who don't want steel trems. Better yet, zinc-based JT590-style trems should be abandoned from the Schaller product catalog completely; there is only a 30 Euro difference between the steel Lockmeister and the zinc Schaller Tremolo. Why bother with the "budget" product with such a small price difference?

Most non-J/C people are not going to realize there are two versions of JT590-style trems, one without reinforced intonation screw holes and one with. If Schaller can "get away" with not reinforcing those holes, and the majority of aftermarket tremolo customers don't even realize the baseplate is made of zinc instead of steel, they could probably get away with cutting corners.

I'm not necessarily accusing Schaller of cutting corners, but this exploitation is possible with any company who can choose to do it or not. I'm glad to hear the Schaller Tremolo has reinforced holes.

Comment

Working...
                              X