DXMG vs DK2 vs DK2M neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXMG vs DK2 vs DK2M neck

I just brought a KE3, and is now eyeing a replacement neck with bindings. How does those three compare to each other, and to the original KE3 neck? Its still in transit, but eyeing the catalog the KE3 seems to have a really thin neck even by Jackson standard. Also, how much should I be expecting to pay for the neck? Currently there's a part seller on eBay with a DXMG neck, with the tuners it'd come to around 250 USD, is that a reasonable price? He's also sold DK2 and DK2M necks in the past, so I'm trying to decide whether or not to snag up the DXMG neck now or wait for a DK2/DK2M neck to pop up.

$250 for a DXMG neck...

The DK2 and DXMG necks are definitely different.
    But, go for it. If you really want a different neck, especially if you haven't even gotten the KE3 yet, knock your socks off. Have fun.

What's the worst that can happen? You don't like the new neck, so you sell it and buy the other one.

Comment

For USD$250 you should be aiming for a complete DXMG/DK2/DK2M, not just its neck. ie - $250 is excessive for a neck alone, unless price is no consideration.

I have a factory 2009 KE3 that came with a bound neck/headstock (atypical for a KE3). Detaching the neck revealed it was stamped as a DK2S neck. https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...ike-my-old-one

I have a factory 2002 WRXT that had a neck that looked correct for the body. Detaching the neck revealed it was stamped as a KE3 neck. https://imgur.com/a/2NpnKd7

Both those necks feel the same to me.

Comment

I'm in Australia, so eBay/Reverb is my only option for these things. I got the KE3 for a relatively reasonable ~300USD or so, comes up to 450 after shipping and probably closer to 500 once I pay import duty. Over here, a DXMG usually sells for about 600-700 bucks (450-ish USD), and the DK2 line closer to a grand.

Comment

Well the DXMG neck I was eyeing is sold, so that's off the table for now. I don't like the reversed headstock that much, so I'll probably favor the DK2 over it. Piggybacking for another question, will a standard non-LP Floyd fit in the JT-580LP cavity? Looking at the Gotoh GE1996T.

Comment

Here is info on floyd swaps, http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm
            Something like OFR should be fine but the gotoh has a bit longer locking screws so you might run into troubles when intonating.
            Last edited by ed; 07-20-2020, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              For USD$250 you should be aiming for a complete DXMG/DK2/DK2M, not just its neck. ie - $250 is excessive for a neck alone, unless price is no consideration.

I have a factory 2009 KE3 that came with a bound neck/headstock (atypical for a KE3). Detaching the neck revealed it was stamped as a DK2S neck. https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...ike-my-old-one

I have a factory 2002 WRXT that had a neck that looked correct for the body. Detaching the neck revealed it was stamped as a KE3 neck. https://imgur.com/a/2NpnKd7

Both those necks feel the same to me.
              Hopefully you can find a reasonably priced neck. DXMG and DK2's sell all the time around 250 bucks. If it were me I'd be looking at buying a complete guitar, taking of the neck and then selling the rest of the parts to offset the cost.

Comment

I considered that, but I'd be out a decent chunk upfront. For buying internationally, I'm limited to eBay and Reverb, and prices there are nowhere as cheap as Craigslist/Gumtree/Facebook and other classified listings. Locally, there's a DK2M for 700 AUD from a private seller in a different city, a DK2M from a pawnshop (with original hardcase) for 900, and a DK2 from the same chain but different store also for 900. I called up the pawnshop DK2M, they were willing to ship, but weren't willing to negotiate over the phone. If I lived there, I could probably get it for for 600 easily since its been there for months.

Breaking down, I was willing to pay 450 AUD for the DXMG/DK2 neck from that seller + tuners + shipping. So assuming I pay full price for either the DK2 or the DK2M from the pawnshop chain (+50-100 for shipping), I'd need to make back around 500-600 AUD from the body + pickups + trem + hardcase for it to pay off. Pickup I can get 200-250 for, so 350 for the body + trem. Going from eBay US and Reverb prices, ~250USD for a DK2 body + JT-580LP seems doable, but I'm not sure about the local market. Hard case maybe 100?

There's also a guy selling a KE5FR (one of the later ones with bindings) for 1.1k AUD with original hardcase. I could probably just buy that instead and flip the KE3 here for 700.

EDIT: The DK2 is actually a DK2S, with a Duncan Designed Detonator in the bridge instead of the JB. The Duncan Designed is like 50 bucks top, and I don't think I can even sell the Sustainiac.
                Last edited by Crumbling; 07-20-2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Understood. I paid $95.00 last month for a nice used SKB hard case so they are worth something. I understand the conundrum. Best of luck with it.

Comment

On Reverb there's what appears to be a PS6T (or a KE3) body mated to a DXMG neck for ~300AUD, I might consider getting that and just selling off the KE3 neck + whatever body that is off as a full guitar. PS6T usually go for at least 300-ish here, so I might be able to get the neck for free.

Or maybe not, its sold.
                    Last edited by Crumbling; 07-21-2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

If Reverb has something even close to resembling a good deal it sells pretty fast.

Comment

The KE3 came today, the seller didn't specify it was a sales item on the packaging so I didn't get hit with import duty thankfully saving a hundred bucks. The neck is noticeably chunkier than the current set of Indonesian Jackson, so I'm leaning back toward the DXMG, even with the smurf hat headstock

(Also considering a JS32 neck at this point, I sold a Natural Oil Warrior before this and the neck on that was great. Not sure if the heel size is the same though. Might just get a cheapo, swap the neck and sell the other one as a mutt)

Just noticed there's a Fusion XL on reverb for parts. Will the Schaller JT-590 fit in the JT-580LP route? If so, I can get both a Floyd upgrade and a neck change from that. The GE1996T I was planning to get is 200AUD alone, so this seems like a decent-ish buy.
                        Last edited by Crumbling; 07-22-2020, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X