Replacement block recommendations for Licensed Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement block recommendations for Licensed Floyd Rose

Hi all - I've recently bought a JS32 Rhoads V. I'm really impressed with it, particularly for the price. One improvement I'd like to try is to upgrade the block on the LFR tremolo to a brass unit for slightly more sustain. I'd like to ask users here who've made the same change if there are any particular types/brands to consider, or especially if there are any to avoid. Is a 42mm too deep for my guitar? Will an L-shape have enough room in the JS32s cavity? Any noticeable impact on tone? I'm sure there's someone out there who's tried something like this and hit a snag along the way, so I'm hoping to learn from your mistakes!
    By the way, I know people will have opinions on the quality, or qualities of these guitars and the materials that go into the Licensed Floyd, but this is the guitar that I wanted and could afford, so be gentle! Thanks in advance.

I make my own brass blocks, they do add sustain and depth to a trem that originally had a small or light block. so I don't know specifically about aftermarket blocks or your js32, But to see if 42 mm is to deep you will have to measure from the bottom of your trem base plate to the cover plate mounting recess. most modern guitars with recessed trems, 42 is to long to clear a remounted cover plate. width and thickness would be a crap shoot depending on the trem cavity rout. you will loose pull back or drop, or both going with a larger block. This is why I build my own, I can measure the rout and mount the block offset and width for the desired location. for me drop wins over pull back(except on one guitar for fun).

Comment

If it's a recessed trem, you'll need 32mm.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like Tungsten sustain blocks. They are available at FloydRose.com. They are twice the density of a similar sized brass block and have a very nice tone to them.

If the tremolo is recessed you will need a 32mm otherwise a 37mm.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - one thing I'm finding it difficult to confirm is if the actually screw holes are the same width apart on a licensed Jackson Floyd as they are on a genuine part - anyone out there able to confirm or point me at a spec sheet?

Comment

Working...
          X