DK3 Licensed Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK3 Licensed Floyd

Before I might make any mistakes I just need to know what the ease of removal of the licensed Floyd is to change the tremolo to a brass one. I am not a mechanical engineer in any sorts but a qualified electronics engineer. Please forgive my lack of knowledge.
    Steve.

You mean change the WHOLE tremolo unit to a brass one? Or the sustain block?

Comment

The Floyd rose brass fat tremolo 32mm. Link below
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLOYD-ROSE-...TXDY9V0TH44YQY

Comment

I'm in the opposite situation as you; I have not yet learned a single thing about electronics so I leave wiring/pickups work to my tech, though others tell me it's an easy skill to add to my knowledge base. But, I can easily take apart neglected guitars, clean all the nooks and crannies, reassemble the parts, and set up the guitar to play better than ever.

For me it's easy because I've done it often, but I can understand why it might seem daunting at first.

Taking apart a trem is quite straightforward as long as you keep all the parts in order. This is most critical for the saddles, which on an OFR-style trem have different heights (shortest saddles for the outside strings, tallest saddles for the middle strings). Below is one of the Ibanez Original Edge trems I have, disassembled for cleaning. I laid out everything on a towel with each part relative to the next so I knew where things were supposed to go when reassembling. You will need to disassemble the trem on your DK3 to this degree just to access the three short screws (fourth group of parts in the below photo) under the saddles (sixth group of parts) that hold the stock trem sustain block (third item) to the baseplate (first item), swap in your new brass sustain block, and then reassemble.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 05-04-2019, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks for reply with pic. Lots of info on OFR's everywhere but little on Jackson licensed so I have no idea on any differences there are on disassembling. Had very little problems on going out of tune over the years but the sustain is not good The DK3 I have is a 2000 model hence Japanese made. I will give it a try and take pictures as I take apart.
          Steve.
          Last edited by snakebite; 05-05-2019, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X