Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first paintjob a JS20 Bengal! Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first paintjob a JS20 Bengal! Any tips?

Here is my first attempt at painting a guitar. My JS20 I picked up at pawn shop. The finish was originally dark metallic blue. I sanded the clear, masked off the bengal and sprayed Duplicolor silver lacquer. Lightly sanded that and finished it off with 2 cans of clear lacquer. I still have to wet sand and buff it out but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Whataya think? Any tips on painting. I have no spraying equipment, so any advice on the best brands of spraycans for guitar finishes would be appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll post some better pictures whenever I get it finished.

Whoa, check the grass [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] Jeez I need to put down the guitars and grab the mower [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks to RacerX for the great thread on posting pictures [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] jacksonfan
    Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Re: My first paintjob a JS20 Bengal! Any tips?

Man, that looks great! I really like your attention to detail (The stripe on the edge, continuing on the back, etc).

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks RacerX, I appreciate that. I also have a Kramer Focus 6000 body that I'm doing a black/white Lynch style bengal on. I'll post it whenever I get it finished. I have other guitars that I'm thinking of painting too,just thought that I would try it on something cheap.I would hate to screw up a good guitar. Any other bengal lovers out there?

jacksonfan
      Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Greta job, JF! That looks killer!
        I painted one a few years ago. But, mine looks like a turd compared to yours.
        Oh well, it's just my 'beater' guitar anyway. It never leaves the house.

Comment

Wanna do one for me? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I have a guitar that I love but I HATE the finish on it and I would really like to tear it apart and put a new finish on it (I've tried a finishing job once before) but I don't think I have time since I'm headed off to Tokyo in about a month.
          I've been meaning to re-do my Warmoth job too but I don't think thats gonna happen in the next couple of weeks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

wow, that came up great! I've often thought about doing a red/black bengal on my black Model 4, but given that I'm too lazy to even rewire the thing, I can't see it happening any time soon. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Hail yesterday

Comment

that's awesome! i like that better than the ones companies sell stock.

Comment

Nice bengal job! I love bengals.

Did you cut the bengal shapes from masking tape yourself or can you buy bengal shaped tape?
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Nice, I bet the pictures don't do it justice.
                  http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Awesome work, you could get a new job soon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow! No tips here to offer. Looks great so far.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] wow really nice

I really like your pattern

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Nice bengal job! I love bengals.

Did you cut the bengal shapes from masking tape yourself or can you buy bengal shaped tape?

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Well! Firstly, you have to sneak up behind the tiger with a marker pen & some tracing paper........
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

I think it looks great.

So did you just sand the claercoat so the bengal paint would adhere, or did you sand off the clearcoat completely?
                            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Awesome job. Very nice

Comment

Working...
                              X