SLSMG or DKMGT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSMG or DKMGT?

I played the DKMG and liked it alot, with the exception of the FR. I also liked the SLSMG that I tried but GC didn't have a DKMGT in stock. The SLSMG sounded wicked, had awesome sustain and played very nicely and has features I like and IMHO is a higher end axe. My next guitar will be a TOM and that's why I'm looking at either one. Is the SLSMG really a step up from the DKMGT other than price? Basically, I'm not too familiar in what various woods and construction do for you tone. I'm curious because I don't think I can try out a DKMGT and I have compared the features on both. BTW, I would be switching the pickups to active EMG's regardless of either on that I got.

Anybody played both?
    Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Re: SLSMG or DKMGT?

I own a DKMGT, and I think they are great guitars for the money. I really like the tone I get out of mine. The EMG HZs are not bad pickups at all; give 'em a fair try before you swap them out. The DKMGT has an satiny finished neck instead of a high-gloss, so it plays really nice. Plus, even though it is the lower-end of the two models, the DKMGT still has a bound neck & heastock.

I am sure you would be happy with either one, but the DKMGT will save you some $$$ without a lot of trade-off.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

SLSMG's are well worth the money, but that's just because of the neck-thru design and ebony fb. Those two are cool, but I think a bolt-on plays similar if it's good, and Jackson bolt-ons don't really differ that much from neck-thrus.

Comment

I like the SLSMG much better than the DKMGT. The DK is a sweet guitar too and I wouldn't mind owning one but if I had the choice it would be the SLS all the way!

Comment

SLSMG All the way! they Smoke very comfortable great tone also.
          According To The Prophecy

Comment

SLSMG gets my vote.
            Good pickups, good FB.
            It just "feels" right to me.
            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Neither axe is really "better" than the other, but they are different. I got a DKMGT and I love it. I actually prefer the extra weight over the SLSMG, however the SLSMG does have a very vibrant tone. Both guitars "feel" great.
              In the end I guess I just didnt see enough difference between them to justify the extra $$$

Comment

Geez Im full of **** sometimes...
                What really made my mind up was the headstock!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                Death to false headstocks!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, the SLSMG was very lightweight. I'm not sure if I liked that. What gives the SLSMG the tone and sustain that it had, the neck-thru construction, the TOM. or the fact it is mahogany? It sounded 100x better than my PS3T, only thing is after playing the SLSMG for 2 min, I knew those crappy HZ's were gonna have to go for some actives. Then, I'm sure that axe would be brutal.
                  Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

Comment

I think the difference in tone is mainly attributable to the mahogany body more than the set neck...

As for the EMG HZ's, another advantage of the DKMGT, it has an active Turbocharger 20db boost control which makes the HZ's sound much better ( just dont turn it up full as you'll get too much noise)

Comment

I'd love to get an SLSMG someday. All I see are "satin black" ones. Do they make them in regular black? I really like the idea of mahagony body, through neck and ebony fretboard.

Comment

Yes they do make them in regular black.

Comment

there's a new finish "dark metallic red" its probably new for this year, is violin brown slsmg's discontinued??

Comment

The one I played was gloss black, don't care for the satin look personally.

Comment

I can't speak for the SLSMG, but I love my DKMGT. As far as Satin finishes go, I find that the oils in the skin seem to soak in some. Maybe it's just me though.

Comment

Working...
                              X