Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concerning the DKMG's EMG Turbocharger...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerning the DKMG's EMG Turbocharger...

hi, i recently got this guitar and when i turned the knob for the turbocharger while sustaining a power chord i couldnt tell the difference...is it really that bad? or do i need a special type of lead for it...i replaced the batteries as well...but to no avail [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] help please.

Re: Concerning the DKMG\'s EMG Turbocharger...

Hi, my Turbo charger only works when I'm plugged directly into my amp, not when I frist plug into either a Digitect metal master or directly into a Korg PX4. Anyone know why?
    Karl

Comment

because the Turbocharger gives you higher output, through those shitty pedals you'll only get a little bit more distortion, but not much of an effect

Comment

The turbocharger is best used with your guitar plugged directlt into the amp. With the turbocharger off, set a small amount of gain on your amp, then when you kick in the turbocharger you drive the preamp harder and saturate your sound (more distortion and volume!!)
        This allows you to go between a cleanish sound and maximum overdrive
        If you are using fx pedals I would suggest putting them into the amps fx loop...

Comment

So is the turbocharger a gain boost only?

I have the JE-1200 mid boost in my 475, it is VERY noticeable. I usually keep it midway for a nice cutting tone, and sometimes full blast for neck position leads only.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            So is the turbocharger a gain boost only?

I have the JE-1200 mid boost in my 475, it is VERY noticeable. I usually keep it midway for a nice cutting tone, and sometimes full blast for neck position leads only.

[/ QUOTE ]

That´s my impression. I dropped a turbocharger into Phoenix a few days ago for testing, and the tonal effect was (with the exception of having more gain) negligible compared to the J1200 in my Model 6.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              hi, i recently got this guitar and when i turned the knob for the turbocharger while sustaining a power chord i couldnt tell the difference...is it really that bad? or do i need a special type of lead for it...i replaced the batteries as well...but to no avail [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] help please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not simply turn the knob... its a push pull type. Pull it then turn it.

Comment

dude i tried push/pulling the turbocharger knob but its not the push/pull type...it just comes out in my hand [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] !!! whats going on?! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]((

Comment

Hi, I still don't get this. If I plug directly into the amp and pull out the Turbo Charger and turn it up I get an increased volume/gain into my amp. Doing this I can go from a clean or slightly distorted sound to a full blown overdriven sound. Just like it's supposed to. But if I'm using my Metal Master distortion pedal in front of my amp the TC has no effect. I understand that I'm already sending a distorted signal to my amps preamp section, but the increasd signal level should have some effect, but there is none. Also when using a Korg PX4 I get no effect from the TC when using a clean or dirty amp setting.
                  These are the only boxes I have to try with the TC. Both use digital processing. Could this have something to do with it? Is the preamp section of these devices adjusting to the increased input level?

Comment

The turbocharger is the 3rd knob... like tone 2 in Strats.

If there is no push pull... you sure you got a Dkmg? Not a dxmg?

Comment

yes! pirhana inlays, black forest, archtop.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

It might be possible that the digital processing in the pedals is limiting the gain boost for some reason. I'm not sure why it would, but that seems the only likely reason.
                        As Hambucker said the 3rd knob is the turbocharger and it is a push pull pot. If you pull the knob up it gives the gain boost. How much depends on what level you have the knob set at.

If the Turbocharger is not working direct into an amp, then I would get it checked to make sure it is hooked up properly & that it is not broken.
                        KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                        I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

ok thanks for that bit of info...although i try pulling the knob and if i pull too much it comes out in my hand...is that supposed to happen or is it supposed to pull out to only a certain extent???

Comment

It should only pull out to a certain extent. If the knob is pulling off, it maybe that the set screw to hold it on is loose, or that you are pulling to far/hard on it.

On a side note:
                            This may seem ridiculous, but I would think it would be better to have a mini toggle switch to turn the Turbocharger on & off. It just seems like it would be easier than the push/pull pot.
                            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

i agree. i have installed a similar preamp on one of my other guitars and that uses a simple flick switch. anyway, when i play i get the feeling that the preamp is on...like added sustain and more slurr b/w chords...could it be that the turbocharger is constantly on now???

Comment

Working...
                              X