I'm gettin me a Jackson Stars!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm gettin me a Jackson Stars!!!

I'm gonna be in Tokyo starting in september so I decided to get a Jackson Stars. These appear to be comparable to the Japanese neck-thrus we get here, about the same price for the base model, and they come with a Schaller trem instead of the Takeuchi!
    Here's the catch.. I'm big on maple fingerboards, I dislike rosewood and don't really know how I feel about ebony (the models I've seen come with bound ebony).
    The neat thing? Jackson Stars has a nice semi-custom order system. You give 'em a specific model number you want, and tell 'em how you want it and they can do it for you!
    So, I'm going for a KS-J2 (KellyStar) in dark metallic red, and I'm gonna get a maple fingerboard, no binding, no inlays, and the whole neck, fingerboard and headstock will be natural satin finish. Pretty sweet!
    It comes out to be a little bit more than what you would pay in a store for the production model (I paid a little over $1300 US for mine) but it's worth it to have a sweet Japanese neck thru Jackson tailored to your specs.
    Should be able to pick it up at the store in Tokyo at the end of October or beginning of November *sigh* I'm gonna be fidgety for the whole wait haha!
    Anyone else have experience with Jackson Stars? Whaddya think?
    By the way for those interested, you can order a semi-custom from Ishibashi Music, they'll give you about the same price as anyone else (I got a quote from another store and Ishibashi was slightly more expensive but I woulda had to pay shipping or travel further to get to the other store), and they'll deal with you in English where the others (like the other store I contacted) mostly speak Japanese.

Re: I\'m gettin me a Jackson Stars!!!

Yeah I've got an NASL-160 (now known as the NASL-J2 with rosewood - the NASL-J1 has ebony) and it's definitely my favorite "non-Metal" axe [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I almost ordered a BlooDrip WR-J1 (neckthrough Warrior) but I coulda bought a used USA for that.

I was informed by someone "in the know" that some of the JacksonStars are made in America and finished in Japan, and some are made in Japan and finished in America.

Anyhoo, if you run across any smokin deals for an NASL (Floyds only) or Warrior while you're there, drop me an email through the board [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well I bet mine will be all done in Japan... not that there's anything wrong with that, those Japan guitars are sweet!
      I think they build their guitars in Nagano? But I'm not sure.
      I could probably get a used USA soloist or something for the price I'm paying for this one, but not a custom with a maple fingerboard, and definitely not a KellyStar!
      I'm checking with the sales rep to see if they'll do a non-standard color for me (I'm thinkin a nice solid green like Vai's green meanie) but I doubt I'll actually do it, because I figure the custom finish is a bit more than I want to pay. I might see about one of their hot rod flames finishes though hehe.

Comment

I really like the jackson stars NASL- J1 guitars, i did the conversion and it came out to be around 1200 dollars, they look real nice..

Comment

Yikes....

Hmm, my payment to Ishibashi hasn't gone through properly yet..
          I called my bank, they say the thing stays on my "pending" for a few business days, and then if they don't receive an authorization, the money goes back into my account until they get a hard copy of the authorization from the place the payment is going to.
          It's disappeared from my account for the time being but perhaps it's just taking extra time to process because it's overseas?
          How did it work when you got your NASL?

Comment

Re: Yikes....

I'm a fan of the looks of the NASL, as well. Maybe someday...

Comment

I had sold a bass to a guy in Tokyo, and then later I asked him to find me an NASL, which he did, and I sent him the money for it and a hard case and the shipping (plus the PayPal fees).

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I had sold a bass to a guy in Tokyo, and then later I asked him to find me an NASL, which he did, and I sent him the money for it and a hard case and the shipping (plus the PayPal fees).Newc

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, he is a very kind man. He could have said no...

If all the ppl would be like that... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd love to get an NASL with the Rising Sun graphic on it...that's be a great momento from Japan!
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    I had sold a bass to a guy in Tokyo, and then later I asked him to find me an NASL, which he did, and I sent him the money for it and a hard case and the shipping (plus the PayPal fees).Newc

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, he is a very kind man. He could have said no...

If all the ppl would be like that... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he got the bass - a Pedulla PentaBuzz; neckthrough, fretless, 5-string, Bartolinis, all it needed was a fretboard resurfacing - for dirt cheap ($950 shipped), so I'm sure he was eager to help [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Ironically, the total cost of getting the NASL and the case to me from Japan was....$950! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

What is "NASL"? Sorry if that's a stupid question...

Comment

the NASL is a carved top neck thru soloist
                        the headstock is three per side instead of the typical jackson headstock
                        http://www.jacksonstars.com/naslspecs.htm I bet this link will show you hehe.
                        Also there's another thread where Newc shows his NASL off, so you can find that.

Comment

I wanted to buy a Jackson stars Kelly . It had the same spec's as a USA, but it had a Schaller Floyd. Anyways, I was too lazy too save my money, so bought a cheaper guitar instead. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Interestingly, the NASL headstock is very close to the old San Dimas Charvel logo's headstock.

And a more accurate description of it is an SLS with a Floyd and 24 frets. It's got the same body as a USA SLS (thinner, made of mahogany). It's also got model-exclusive inlays that are just now being somewhat copied onto the KV2T and USA SLS.

Newc

Comment

How cool would it be to have one of those Kelly Stars? Neck thru! I want one badddddd! How can I order one of these? Does Ishibishi or whatever have a website in English?And how much would that end up being with shipping? Or do they even ship? Anybody know?

Comment

Working...
                              X